Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Ah right! In my hundreds of Pinterest pictures I have this:

e102c181226e1565d7039471f15c202a.jpg

I just happen to have, in my cupboard of fabrics, a tie that exactly complements the shirt that needs a new collar. Ties are usually labelled "Dry Clean only".

:scratch:Is that because all the layers make it difficult to iron?

I have unpicked the tie and washed it. I think I will try the above as a collar. If I hand stitch it, or use giant machine stitches, and it does not look as expected, I can change it. Or I could use some "normal" fabric and cut it to the shape of a tie, and use that. I am sure that @Reynard knows what I mean. ^_^

The tie was in the cupboard with three others. They were purchased from Charity Shops for experimental purposes in my voluntary work a few years back.

No, no, Lullabelle, you have that all wrong. Men know how to use an iron. We have much greater difficulty understanding why to use an iron.
Aren't they used for for putting on covering material on flying model aeroplanes ?

Oh yes please! Is it wholegrain bread? (silly question)

White tiger bread this time. :blush: Just a wee treat as I usually have wholemeal.

My new microwave has a "puree vegetables" thingybob on its preset doofers, I wonder if this is a quick way to cook ingredients for soups.

My microwave is just a basic microwave. If Reynard know, Reynard say. But Reynard don't know so can't say. (Sorry, doing my Zathras impression here.) I tend to do my soups in the crock pot and then finish off on the hob.

Ah right! In my hundreds of Pinterest pictures I have this:

View attachment 436006

I just happen to have, in my cupboard of fabrics, a tie that exactly complements the shirt that needs a new collar. Ties are usually labelled "Dry Clean only".

:scratch:Is that because all the layers make it difficult to iron?

I have unpicked the tie and washed it. I think I will try the above as a collar. If I hand stitch it, or use giant machine stitches, and it does not look as expected, I can change it. Or I could use some "normal" fabric and cut it to the shape of a tie, and use that. I am sure that @Reynard knows what I mean. ^_^

The tie was in the cupboard with three others. They were purchased from Charity Shops for experimental purposes in my voluntary work a few years back.

I suspect ties tend to be dry clean only a) to protect delicate fabrics, b) to stop them losing their shape and c) to stop the colours bleeding out.

If you're turning the tie into a collar as above, it would certainly keep its shape due to the stitching. If you've got any scraps, try washing them and see what happens.

If it were me, I'd either use machine washable fabric to make a collar rather than use the tie itself, or I'd use the tie, but make the collar removable e.g. press studs so that it can be washed separately.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I suspect ties tend to be dry clean only a) to protect delicate fabrics, b) to stop them losing their shape and c) to stop the colours bleeding out.

If you're turning the tie into a collar as above, it would certainly keep its shape due to the stitching. If you've got any scraps, try washing them and see what happens.

If it were me, I'd either use machine washable fabric to make a collar rather than use the tie itself, or I'd use the tie, but make the collar removable e.g. press studs so that it can be washed separately.

You might be right. The layers of fabric will make the drying time much longer. Half the fun is working out what will work. This is now a project that needs further thought.

classic33

Leg End Member

They tend to fade down the edges, whilst developing a shine due to ironing.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Breaking news we awoke to the sound of ice being scraped outside ......

Top Bottom