Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Consider the parsnip. Nasturtiums also ward off bugs, and the petals make a peppery addition to salads. Grow corn to accompany the broad beans, and squash. The corn provides a cane for the beans to grow on, and the squash and corn are further fertilized by the nitrogen fixation of the beans. We call this three sisters planting.

I could try corn, if you mean what we call sweetcorn, and parsnips, but squash are very large are they?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
It is time I wasn't here. Time for :cuppa: and to persuade Kizzy that I would like my pillow and bed for sleeping in.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A bit like the advice given to me about making curry from a pakistani friend who was on my course at uni.

Lots of finely sliced onion, a can of chopped tomatoes, fresh ginger and garlic (as much or as little as you like though a teaspoon of each seems to be about right), chilli (fresh or dried, it doesn't matter, again to taste) and a really good garam masala. And marinate your meat overnight in plain yoghurt if making a meat curry, or add the yoghurt as a finishing touch when making a vegetable curry. If you're feeling flush, throw in some cardamom pods and cassia bark during the cooking - long and slow is best.

She said to me that it'll taste like a good curry regardless of what goes in it. And you know what, she's right. 25 years later, I still make my curries the same way. :hungry:

Edited to add: if the sauce needs thickening, add some ground almonds or some creamed coconut.

I'd agree completely apart from the 'Garam Masala' I make up my own spice mixture from generally Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric and Fenugreek although some recipes call for seeds to be added too (Mustard, Fennel, Kalonji etc)
I could never get Chicken Tikka Masala right though til I saw a recipe for it, I was putting Yoghurt in it when it should be Double Cream (Yoghurt is too tart)

Levo-Lon

Guru
Blueberries grapes and sugar free Alpen with my cuppa..
Van looks like an ice cube!!

Top Bottom