Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I may wash my bike later and with everything you hear on the news it could create up to a 1,000 jobs ! :ohmy:

A bit like the advice given to me about making curry from a pakistani friend who was on my course at uni.

Lots of finely sliced onion, a can of chopped tomatoes, fresh ginger and garlic (as much or as little as you like though a teaspoon of each seems to be about right), chilli (fresh or dried, it doesn't matter, again to taste) and a really good garam masala. And marinate your meat overnight in plain yoghurt if making a meat curry, or add the yoghurt as a finishing touch when making a vegetable curry. If you're feeling flush, throw in some cardamom pods and cassia bark during the cooking - long and slow is best.

She said to me that it'll taste like a good curry regardless of what goes in it. And you know what, she's right. 25 years later, I still make my curries the same way. :hungry:

Edited to add: if the sauce needs thickening, add some ground almonds or some creamed coconut.
I'd agree completely apart from the 'Garam Masala' I make up my own spice mixture from generally Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric and Fenugreek although some recipes call for seeds to be added too (Mustard, Fennel, Kalonji etc)
I could never get Chicken Tikka Masala right though til I saw a recipe for it, I was putting Yoghurt in it when it should be Double Cream (Yoghurt is too tart)
Recipe for a very fresh and tasty quick chicken curry (especially if you marinade the chook beforehand):
take a large box of chicken breasts, chop them into 3 pieces and salt them well, add a good splash of lemon juice, half a teaspoon of red chilli powder and a couple of dessert spoons of greek style yogurt; mix well and refrig for as long as you can, say an hour minimum. This can be cooked in several ways: skewered and barbecue [best but biggest faff]or grill, very hot oven on a shallow lipped baking dish for 20 mins (drain the liquid off after 10) are my favourites. Chop the lumps into smaller portions and add to the finished sauce.
Sauce: combine about 5cm squared of ginger with zest and juice of a lemon, one red or green chilli, 50g of fresh coriander and smoosh in a food processor (or chop finely). Dry fry a tablespoon of cumin til it changes colour (or use a dessertspoon of toasted cumin powder but fresh is best) grind to a powder. Let the pan cool down or use a different pot, melt 100g of butter til it clarifies then add the cumin and a generous teaspoon of good garam masala (good garam doesn't smell like pencil shavings!) half a tube of tomato puree and the ginger/coriander mix, fry that for a minute then add enough water just to wet it, salt to taste, bring to a gentle boil and add a (very) generous sploosh of double cream, say about 100ml bring this back to just boiling, sprinkle a little more garam on top and garnish with a few sprigs of coriander leaf. Serve with fragrant pilau rice.
Enjoy!
I can whip this up in a comfortable half hour if I have to

postman

Legendary Member
Just finished brekkie.Kitchen floor cleaned.Venturing outside to put the waste in the compost bin,Then i am going to clean the bathroom floor.It has a film of Old Spice talc over it,i wonder who splashes that about.Then i might read some more Dombey and Son,oh and i might just check my order details on Ebay for the dvd of Dombey and Son wot i ordered yesterday.:hyper:
Oates.jpg

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Waiting for my new broadband provider to activate the connection. It’s been off since 8:20 AM. I’m not bothered, but it seems my wife cannot live without the internet, “Is it on yet?!”

Just use your phone... :wacko:

Busy morning doing stuff that needed doing. Some vegetables might have gotten bashed and shredded in the process.

Lunch has been consumed. Curried parsnip soup, a slice of rye toast with hummus, a slice of rye toast with half a small avocado, a conference pear, some cherries and two :cuppa:

I am now off into the garden to carry on clearing up the mess that the power network people have left behind.

Top Bottom