Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roadrash

cycle chatterer
sorry it hasn't worked out for you @Andy in Germany

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Well, poo.

I was okay with most of what happened on my interview the last couple of days: although I'd found some aspects on the second day to be quite stressful but they were happy with what I'd done. I was 98% happy and and just called to check some details. They had told me I'd be doing about 2 days a month working with 13-14 year olds on an "Experience day" doing woodwork. of this part of the job, mainly that I was part of a team rather than working on my own with the teenagers.

They've just told me that no, I'd be on my own. With 12-15 teenagers I didn't know and who may or may not want to cooperate. That means I am responsible for their safety (doing woodwork. With very sharp objects everywhere) and everything that happens in the room, and I'm specifically not trained to work with this age group or large groups. I have limited experience with this age range, most of it bad, and none of working in a school situation.

Other than that I'd pretty much decided it was doable and they had seemed to like me.

D*mn, D*mn, and D*mn...
@Andy in Germany You‘ll find something suitable soon. It’s really not fair of them to spring that on you nor make it clear from the outset. Besides 1:15 ratio in a woodworking situation with (as you say) sharp tools and teenagers in counselling (apologies if I’ve stated this incorrectly) doesn’t sound good. At least another adult supervising (i.e. another pair of eyes;) would seem to be required.

Reynard

Guru
Well, poo.

I was okay with most of what happened on my interview the last couple of days: although I'd found some aspects on the second day to be quite stressful but they were happy with what I'd done. I was 98% happy and and just called to check some details. They had told me I'd be doing about 2 days a month working with 13-14 year olds on an "Experience day" doing woodwork. of this part of the job, mainly that I was part of a team rather than working on my own with the teenagers.

They've just told me that no, I'd be on my own. With 12-15 teenagers I didn't know and who may or may not want to cooperate. That means I am responsible for their safety (doing woodwork. With very sharp objects everywhere) and everything that happens in the room, and I'm specifically not trained to work with this age group or large groups. I have limited experience with this age range, most of it bad, and none of working in a school situation.

Other than that I'd pretty much decided it was doable and they had seemed to like me.

D*mn, D*mn, and D*mn...

Oh botheration... :thumbsdown:

Never mind that this situation might well invalidate any insurance they have to have down to your lack of training or the lack of proper supervision. And you don't want to be in the situation where you might end up shouldering the blame for an incident that might have been avoidable.

Best to walk away. If they are cutting corners with this, then goodness knows what other gremlins might be hiding in the works...

Reynard

Guru
It has finally stopped :rain: here.

In a little while I shall be tootling of to Tesco for a spot of yellow stickering.

Reynard

Guru
A decent evening yellow stickering in Tesco tonight. Just me, Tim's Brother and, after a long absence, Mr Moustache. The shitty weather kept a lot of opportunists away. Quite a bit to be had for a week night for a change, with some really good bits, and the three of us swapped out stuff between us.

Came home with duck breasts, prawns, cooked chicken, cooked turkey, scotch eggs, sausage rolls, free range eggs, plain yoghurt, potato croquettes, coleslaw, tenderstem broccoli, sweet peppers, mushrooms, apples, pears, raspberries, kiwi fruit, croissants, chocolate brownies, ciabatta rolls and a job lot of 300 earl grey teabags.

I actually ended up with a huge beef roasting joint, reduced from £24 to £7, but swapped it for the duck and some extra trays of prawns, as it was simply too big for me, and I'm somewhat pressed for freezer space. The cats will be happy with the swap too LOL. And I am really, really pleased with the tea, given how many brews I tip down the hatch every day.

Top Bottom