Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Managed over 50 yrds on the bike before disaster...
Rag wrapped around the rear mech bent the chain cage and buggered it.

Fortunately everything else ok, fitted my spare and all good again.
Had to re true the wheel too.. Dont know if that was from the lock up but it did go into the cassette so probably.

I will try and have a bike ride tomorrow :smile:

D

Deleted member 26715

Start of new workshop roof

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
This is from Grammarist.com :

Roofs is the plural of roof in all varieties of English. Rooves is an old secondary form, and it still appears occasionally by analogy with other irregular plurals such as hooves, but it is not common enough to be considered standard.

If it is an old secondary form, then you were supposed to but you're not supposed to now.
In nineteen hunnert and sixty-five, we still said that.

This is from Grammarist.com :

Roofs is the plural of roof in all varieties of English. Rooves is an old secondary form, and it still appears occasionally by analogy with other irregular plurals such as hooves, but it is not common enough to be considered standard.

If it is an old secondary form, then you were supposed to but you're not supposed to now.

Rooves is what I was taught in prep school - and this was the early / mid 80s...

Bernard Manning was a plumber I never knew that, how did he get in an airing cupboard?

With great difficulty, I believe is the answer... :laugh:

But she says it as rooves, but roofs is how it is spelled here, so the old usage is still common here

Reminds me of my theatre studies final piece where I had to stage a play, and one character, from Gloucestershire, was supposed to say "Raise the roof". Unfortunately the actor was from Pennsylvania, not Gloucestershire, and so he naturally pronounced it as "Ruff".

Mind you, that was nothing compared to the pronunciation problems another actress had with "Gloucestershire"...

Top Bottom