Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
You're rich beyond my wildest dreams!
It’s how I imagine winning the lottery might feel.

tyred

Legendary Member
This is about as exciting as Friday nights get nowadays!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I'd like to make a public(ish) apology to the three people sat in a car in front of my truck at some roadworks traffic lights, today..
You see, the windscreen washer button in my usual Scania is at the end of the left steering column stalk. I took the opportunity to clean the screen as I was waiting for the lights to change 🚥

Unfortunately, in the DAF I am driving at the moment, the same positioned button operates the air horns 📯

I'm sure the three dents in the car roof will smooth out easily enough...

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Hi, all! :hello:

I spent way too much time at home this week, although this new rental house I moved into is very nice. I worked from home all this week, and the technology worked reasonably well: I was able to have audio [and visual] discussions with various work colleagues. I'm lucky to work for a company that builds software and hardware, and so they're pretty technologically clued-up. I really miss my bicycle commutes, though. :sad: I had only done 1 week of my new commute, which is about 53km round trip with about 870m climbing, a real workout for the legs, and I was getting used to it. Now it's on indefinite hold. :rolleyes:

This morning (it's already Saturday here in the Melbourne 'burbs), I would normally have headed to a nearby café for breakfast and coffee, but very few cafés are open, now, and strictly for takeaway only. I'm not even sure my favourite café in my new neighbourhood will even still be in business when the ***coronakerfuffle is all over. :sad:

I've had to call a plumber over to deal with the plumbing for my washing machine, since I have a bit of a backlog of washing to do after the move, and haven't had time to properly setup the plumbing. Of course, there will be no shaking of hands, or close encounters of any kind (the 3rd, or otherwise :laugh:).

I have plenty to do, though, because the house still has a lot of unpacked boxes in various rooms, and I could easily fill the whole weekend just dealing with those. I also plan to go for some longish walks this weekend, to get to know my new (and very hilly) neighbourhood this weekend. There will even be a few grocery shopping trips in there, as I do have some essential items to buy (in a carefully isolated manner, of course).

More on the technology front: I've been using ProtonMail for several weeks now, and I'm pretty happy with it. It's based in Switzerland, and obviously they're pretty keen on their privacy, and it shows. Not only are my mails stored on their server encrypted, but it also gives the option (which I activated) of 2-factor authentication to login. For the uninitiated, this means that after you enter your username and password to login, you're then presented with another dialog asking you for a 2-factor authentication 6-digit number. This actually comes from your phone. I have an app called 'Authy' installed on my Android phone, which can be setup to provide these 6-digit authentication codes for various external web sites that request them. Hope that all made sense! It's a bit geeky, I know, but it's getting more common these days: 2-factor authentication is commonly used in net banking web sites.

As well as the 2FA (abbreviation for 2-factor authentication), I've combined the ProtonMail account with a ProtonVPN account, which adds more privacy to my internet connections, and it appears to work well enough. Various times last night, Google thought I was in Sydney, then Singapore, then... :laugh:
ProtonMail also has an Android app, which I installed on my phone, and it works very well.

I'm extremely introverted, but even I need some social contact, and there hasn't been much lately, so I do hope the coronakerfuffle is over sooner rather than later. :sad:

*** yes, I just added a new word to the English lexicon. :okay:

Regards, and stay safe and well all of you,

--- Victor.

This week I received my "Shielding" letter. It gives all sorts of details about websites and who to contact and what to do. This means staying at home for twelve weeks. Strangely the envelope did not contain a shield of any description.

There are lots of sci-fi aficionados on this thread, so may I ask what sort of shield they would suggest. Chakotay in Star Trek Voyager may have had one, or Daft Invader, but what do you recommend? It needs to be lightweight and portable.

The price may be an issue, as I think I only have seventy bars of pressed Latinum.

I think a Vorlon encounter suit might be just the ticket... ;)

Stay safe, hun xxx

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
This is about as exciting as Friday nights get nowadays!
View attachment 510919
I've got one of those radios, it's a Roberts, isn't it? Mine lives in my bathroom.

I think we should go on a virtual pub crawl. As the pubs are shut, there won't be a lot of cask or keg beers, but there'll be bottles and cans and more bottles, and we can all send each other photos of drinks we don't have to hand.... So, anyway, I don't have any Guinness but I do have a fridge full of beer.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Hi, all! :hello:

I spent way too much time at home this week, although this new rental house I moved into is very nice. I worked from home all this week, and the technology worked reasonably well: I was able to have audio [and visual] discussions with various work colleagues. I'm lucky to work for a company that builds software and hardware, and so they're pretty technologically clued-up. I really miss my bicycle commutes, though. :sad: I had only done 1 week of my new commute, which is about 53km round trip with about 870m climbing, a real workout for the legs, and I was getting used to it. Now it's on indefinite hold. :rolleyes:

This morning (it's already Saturday here in the Melbourne 'burbs), I would normally have headed to a nearby café for breakfast and coffee, but very few cafés are open, now, and strictly for takeaway only. I'm not even sure my favourite café in my new neighbourhood will even still be in business when the ***coronakerfuffle is all over. :sad:

I've had to call a plumber over to deal with the plumbing for my washing machine, since I have a bit of a backlog of washing to do after the move, and haven't had time to properly setup the plumbing. Of course, there will be no shaking of hands, or close encounters of any kind (the 3rd, or otherwise :laugh:).

I have plenty to do, though, because the house still has a lot of unpacked boxes in various rooms, and I could easily fill the whole weekend just dealing with those. I also plan to go for some longish walks this weekend, to get to know my new (and very hilly) neighbourhood this weekend. There will even be a few grocery shopping trips in there, as I do have some essential items to buy (in a carefully isolated manner, of course).

More on the technology front: I've been using ProtonMail for several weeks now, and I'm pretty happy with it. It's based in Switzerland, and obviously they're pretty keen on their privacy, and it shows. Not only are my mails stored on their server encrypted, but it also gives the option (which I activated) of 2-factor authentication to login. For the uninitiated, this means that after you enter your username and password to login, you're then presented with another dialog asking you for a 2-factor authentication 6-digit number. This actually comes from your phone. I have an app called 'Authy' installed on my Android phone, which can be setup to provide these 6-digit authentication codes for various external web sites that request them. Hope that all made sense! It's a bit geeky, I know, but it's getting more common these days: 2-factor authentication is commonly used in net banking web sites.

As well as the 2FA (abbreviation for 2-factor authentication), I've combined the ProtonMail account with a ProtonVPN account, which adds more privacy to my internet connections, and it appears to work well enough. Various times last night, Google thought I was in Sydney, then Singapore, then... :laugh:
ProtonMail also has an Android app, which I installed on my phone, and it works very well.

I'm extremely introverted, but even I need some social contact, and there hasn't been much lately, so I do hope the coronakerfuffle is over sooner rather than later. :sad:

*** yes, I just added a new word to the English lexicon. :okay:

Regards, and stay safe and well all of you,

--- Victor.
Reckon a bike commute to work would help, if you're still allowed to ride outdoors. Anyway, those computers are far too close! At least, a little work out will freshen you up for the day's work.

Well, I went to Tesco at tea time. New distancing measures in place (sensible) but many people ignoring them (not so sensible). I was the only one sanitizing my trolley prior to use.

A fair few products still very conspicuous in their absence, including tinned goods, baking supplies, tea, cleaning products, paper products and most cupboard staples...

But bar three items (tinned tomatoes, kitchen roll and cream of tartar) I got everything that was on my list, including milk and bread.

All my groceries are now in a 72 hour quarantine in the utility room.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
One of the wholesalers here who usually supplies restaurants and cafes etc, has changed their modus operandi to sell to general public.

I can download a form, order items and they will deliver. They mostly supply fresh fruit and vegetables, but have added bread, milk, eggs, ham and similar things to their stock. If you want to buy pasta that is in 5kg bags, but I suppose for a family that would be okay. I placed a small order today to see how it goes.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
This week I received my "Shielding" letter. It gives all sorts of details about websites and who to contact and what to do. This means staying at home for twelve weeks. Strangely the envelope did not contain a shield of any description.

There are lots of sci-fi aficionados on this thread, so may I ask what sort of shield they would suggest. Chakotay in Star Trek Voyager may have had one, or Daft Invader, but what do you recommend? It needs to be lightweight and portable.

The price may be an issue, as I think I only have seventy bars of pressed Latinum.
Lakota, or Hopi. I know Chakotay is identified as Sioux, but Sioux is what their enemies called them, and means adversary or enemy. I think also that later on he was said to be descended from the "Rubber Tree People" .
Lakota
1585351846755.png

Hopi
i
1585351928948.png

Top Bottom