Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh! That was a bit unfortunate!
I just popped up to the docs to drop off a repeat prescription on my Falcon. On the way back coming down a hill I heard a Psst sound. My rear tub had blown out ! :ohmy:. One good thing, it was a test ride and not our planned ride for later.
Now to choose between a different bike or wheel ? :wacko:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Used for wrapping up China and glass for when you are either moving home or taking stuff to a car boot sale .

Last time I moved house, I saved up all the large colour supplements from Sunday papers to wrap china and glass and fragile items. That was in the days when newspapers left black splodges on your fingers.

I was getting help from the Removal Company a few days' ahead of moving day, and the removal men packed all the supplements in the van. :scratch:

Landsurfer

Veteran
My grandfather would iron the newspaper before reading to prevent the ink coming off ... i did point out that washing your hands to get rid of the ink was a lot quicker than ironing the paper ..... he just glared at me ..... and keep on ironing his papers ..........

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Soybean based inks, and recycled paper, as well as offset printing, have brought the newspaper business down a bit, in my opinion. When they still used the Mergenthaler process, apprentice printers had to know the English language inside and out. Their work was set in lead, and you had to use stiffer, higher quality paper than the toilet paper used by offset. Printers could edit for spelling and the like as well as any editor. Older inks did not run or get splodges on people. A newspaper was something to be proud of, every day. Before I graduated University, I had to take a state mandated test on grammar and punctuation the likes of which was failed by far too many, and those of us who passed had to tutor the others so they could pass. (I pretty much spent my junior year at Uni with a Warriner's English Grammar ) It would have been a fine career, had the business not been shedding jobs and downsizing in the 1980's when i got out of school.

Eh, well it's :rain: here chez Casa Reynard. So I put the morning to good use carrying on with a bit of woodwork and masking off the bits of the background in the Tyrrell painting that need to be masked. Now that it's cooler, the fluid isn't drying on the brush, which is kind of handy.

Will have a break for lunch in a little while, and then I'll be making tangerine & lemon marmalade.

Soybean based inks, and recycled paper, as well as offset printing, have brought the newspaper business down a bit, in my opinion. When they still used the Mergenthaler process, apprentice printers had to know the English language inside and out. Their work was set in lead, and you had to use stiffer, higher quality paper than the toilet paper used by offset. Printers could edit for spelling and the like as well as any editor. Older inks did not run or get splodges on people. A newspaper was something to be proud of, every day. Before I graduated University, I had to take a state mandated test on grammar and punctuation the likes of which was failed by far too many, and those of us who passed had to tutor the others so they could pass. (I pretty much spent my junior year at Uni with a Warriner's English Grammar ) It would have been a fine career, had the business not been shedding jobs and downsizing in the 1980's when i got out of school.

In my journalist days, my editor knew he could drop my articles and race reports directly into the magazine without worrying about my spelling or grammar. ^_^

Today's theme in the photography challenge is "Nostalgia"

NR1F6723_small.jpg

And nostalgia is still mucking about with crayons when you're 45 like you did back when you were 4! :blush:

They were just talking about newspaper sales dropping .
I was just wondering what other uses they used for ? Wrapping up food scraps before putting them into the bin . In my early years as an apprentice they were used to mask up vehicles before spraying .

I use them to light the fire and to wrap up peelings and tea leaves before putting them in the green wheelie bin.

Although I always snag the free papers from the station. I haven't *bought* a newspaper in years :laugh:

Top Bottom