Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you al know what a "mandolin" is in a culinary environment ?
In the process of making a leek and potato bake l used a mandolin and managed , with no effort at all to slice the end of my index finger ! "That is of not off , l'm happy to say"

Yes.

You can get this doodad that's a small handle with some short prongs in it that you stab into the end of the potato, meaning your fingers don't go anywhere near the blade. :tongue:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
We have a mitre saw at work. Don't think in terms of something from a DIY shop: this is a beast of a saw with a constantly rotating blade about 60cm in diameter, and a track over five metres long bolted into the concrete floor. It holds planks down with a compressed air clamp and the saw whips out of the base and slices the wood. We use it -or rather our clients use it- to cut planks by the hundred to make pallets. As this particular section of the workshop basically makes pallets, you'll appreciate it is a fairly important piece of kit.

Well on Monday I broke it, possibly. I was interrupted while working on it and absent-mindedly switched it off with the emergency button. Apparently this can cause some kind of disturbance in the force or something and the saw will refuse to turn on again.

My boss was remarkably generous and didn't bawl me out, although he did say I was a plonker, or the German equivalent thereof.

Anyway, it took a couple of days to get the electrician to come and perform the right incantations for for the blue smoke to return or whatever it is that needs to happen, during which I felt suitably guilty. Also, I'm still in my 6 month probation, if I wreck too much equipment they won't let me stay...

Today the electrician came: he looked at the switch and gave his opinion that it was the "on" switch being gummed up with sawdust that caused the problem, this was half pressed down and sending a permanent signal to the saw to start: amn undesirable situation for a saw that can cut through a tree in seconds. Fortunately it only caused the system to gradually be fried; a new switch is on the way.

So it was the little green button at fault, not the big red one I'd pressed.
Sounds a bit like a beam saw,
1594328537833.png

I'm surprised the 'elf 'n' safety bod in the workshop allowed a machine with a known fault to be operated, surprising lack of maintenance for a company in Germany. I'd always turn off a machine with the 'turn to release' off button rather than the simple 'stop' button if walking away from it but then that was part of my training through my 'City & Guilds.

classic33

Leg End Member
View attachment 535061

I'm surprised the 'elf 'n' safety bod in the workshop allowed a machine with a known fault to be operated, surprising lack of maintenance for a company in Germany. I'd always turn off a machine with the 'turn to release' off button rather than the simple 'stop' button if walking away from it but then that was part of my training through my 'City & Guilds.
To be fair to him, he did say it wasn't hit on purpose.

woodbutcher

Veteran
View attachment 535061

Looks like you are off the hook ! And as an ex furniture maker running my own business with several employees l think your employer got off lightly for not servicing the gear properly . I remember being brought up sharply by factory inspectors for that kind of thing , that was years ago and in silly Suffolk ^_^

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looks like you are off the hook ! And as an ex furniture maker running my own business with several employees l think your employer got off lightly for not servicing the gear properly . I remember being brought up sharply by factory inspectors for that kind of thing , that was years ago and in silly Suffolk ^_^
Not my problem, that was @Andy in Germany pushed the button, as a City & Guilds furniture maker myself I merely pointed out that in the UK the factory inspectors would quite rightly condemn the machine and if I was operating that machine I would report it as faulty to the management (I'd also refuse to operate it but that's me)

Luckily I was generally employed as a 'Bench Hand' but have done a fair bit on Overhead Routers, Spindle Moulders and the like, I worked at one place where another guy used to take the Riving Knife off the Dimension Saw (cos it got in the way) and moaned whenever I'd been using it cos I always refitted it, then one day another bloke was cutting some Beech up for Lipping on a counter top and the plank was 'case hardened' so it grabbed the back of the blade and that threw it backwards with enough force to send it through the (closed) workshop door. :eek:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The banking at Graham Hill Bend?
Yup, South Bank.

Now have the timetable printed, photo attached to the MSV season card, radio batteries charged, sunblock & waterproofs ready and Dart Charge account topped up. Just got to get the food for the weekend and I'm ready to go.

As long as the car starts on Saturday morning, having not been used for 3 weeks.

Yup, South Bank.

Now have the timetable printed, photo attached to the MSV season card, radio batteries charged, sunblock & waterproofs ready and Dart Charge account topped up. Just got to get the food for the weekend and I'm ready to go.

As long as the car starts on Saturday morning, having not been used for 3 weeks.

Hope you have a fabby time :okay:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Hope you have a fabby time :okay:
The only downside will be the Dartford Tunnel on the way home on Sunday. Never had a clear run through there on a Sunday evening.

Edited to add - On the bright side - Saturday morning on the way in, if I can drag my backside out of bed earlier enough there may be a stop at Decathlon in Lakeside for a bit of bike bits shopping :smile:

Top Bottom