Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Blue skies here although some cloud as well
I want today to be dry please all day

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I saw a cloud this morning ....maybe it will rain, drizzle or perhaps an odd shower or two. Quickly check local forecast , are you kidding me NO rain, just not quite as hot as yesterday . 🙏
We appear to have only one cloud too. It is a very very big cloud though. Still, the Met office is still predicting a solar appearance at 11am.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Started sunny, but it's gone very cloudy and dull. Atmosphere in my house is very tense with daughter's decisions about college - causing us serious stress. MrsF is insisting I take daughter with me when I open the caravan up - not sure I want to - might bury her in the sand dunes ! If I've got to take her, I'm only there to clean the van - jet wash the outside, shampoo carpets and run all the pipework clean. I'm taking my old MTB as it fits in my boot easier than the full suspension, so I'll go for a ride. Sunday is my dad's birthday, so I'll drag her to nana and grandad for another ear bashing - both sides of the family think she's stupid. MIL has said 'you have to stop her' ! Unfortunately we can't.

Anyway, got a good 20 mile off road/cycle route circuit planned with a return trip via Rhyl's pump track and along the coast back to Gronant.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I take my hat off to anyone who can tan in yesterday's weather.

I didn't say tan.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
We have a mitre saw at work. it's a beast of a saw with a constantly rotating blade about 60cm in diameter, and a track over five metres long bolted into the concrete floor. It holds planks down with a compressed air clamp and the saw whips out of the base and slices the wood. We use it -or rather our clients use it- to cut planks by the hundred to make pallets. As this particular section of the workshop basically makes pallets, you'll appreciate it is a fairly important piece of kit.

Well on Monday I broke it, possibly. I was interrupted while working on it and absent-mindedly switched it off with the emergency button. Apparently this can cause some kind of disturbance in the force or something and the saw will refuse to turn on again.

My boss was remarkably generous and didn't bawl me out, although he did say I was a plonker, or the German equivalent thereof.

Anyway, it took a couple of days to get the electrician to come and perform the right incantations for for the blue smoke to return or whatever it is that needs to happen, during which I felt suitably guilty. Also, I'm still in my 6 month probation, if I wreck too much equipment they won't let me stay...

Today the electrician came: he looked at the switch and gave his opinion that it was the "on" switch being gummed up with sawdust that caused the problem, this was half pressed down and sending a permanent signal to the saw to start: amn undesirable situation for a saw that can cut through a tree in seconds. Fortunately it only caused the system to gradually be fried; a new switch is on the way.

So it was the little green button at fault, not the big red one I'd pressed.

My experience with big scary electrical machinery is that the off switch usually doubles as the 'Yikes, switch it off NOW" big red button. How else would you switch it off?

[edit] I see you've answered my question. These Germans are crazy. [/edit]

I recall an occasion, as an apprentice, when, needing some cutting oil, I switched on a lathe. Unbeknown to me, the chuck was loose & continued to rotate when I switched off and fell on the bed. I was reprimanded, and felt guilty as I watched the bed being filed smooth again, but I did wonder why the chuck was loose.

Last edited:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Started sunny, but it's gone very cloudy and dull. Atmosphere in my house is very tense with daughter's decisions about college - causing us serious stress. MrsF is insisting I take daughter with me when I open the caravan up - not sure I want to - might bury her in the sand dunes ! If I've got to take her, I'm only there to clean the van - jet wash the outside, shampoo carpets and run all the pipework clean. I'm taking my old MTB as it fits in my boot easier than the full suspension, so I'll go for a ride. Sunday is my dad's birthday, so I'll drag her to nana and grandad for another ear bashing - both sides of the family think she's stupid. MIL has said 'you have to stop her' ! Unfortunately we can't.

Anyway, got a good 20 mile off road/cycle route circuit planned with a return trip via Rhyl's pump track and along the coast back to Gronant.

If it was me in that very tense situation, I would go and open up the caravan by myself. Then I could work at my own pace, allowing time for sitting down in peace and quiet in between those tasks. Time away from a problem, can help, sometimes, possibly.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My experience with big scary electrical machinery is that the off switch usually doubles as the 'Yikes, switch it off NOW" big red button. How else would you switch it off?

I recall an occasion, as an apprentice, when, needing some cutting oil, I switched on a lathe. Unbeknown to me, the chuck was loose & continued to rotate when I switched off and fell on the bed. I was reprimanded, and felt guilty as I watched the bed being filed smooth again, but I did wonder why the chuck was loose.
That's not a big scary machine, this is though,

1594373835588.png

I worked in a place which used one of these, it's called a rubber mill and it's used to mix and heat up sheets of Raw Rubber before processing. Those 2 solid steel drums weigh a ton each* and ours was driven by an 80hp 3 phase motor. if you switched it off it would take it a couple of minutes to stop due to the momentum. Due to the fact it was capable of squeezing a person through it like toothpaste there was a safety device which was capable of stopping the machine in 1/6 of a revolution which was achieved by cutting power to the motor, reversing the connection of 2 of the phases then turning the power back on effectively reversing the motor. They used to test the 'emergency stop' once a week for safety purposes (Friday afternoon after all the other work had finished) and it was a sight to behold, all the lights in the factory used to dim and the whole machine rocked on it's mounts.

* for a sense of scale the drums are 18 inches in diameter and are centred at shoulder height so you could just about see over the top of them.

EDIT actually I'm wrong, one of the rollers is hollow and water cooled,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_r...towards each other, one faster than the other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom