Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Wilco!

Cold, overcast and extremely blowy here chez Casa Reynard.

Overnight, my ash tree (about three foot across at the base of the trunk) had a branch come down. It's far too big for me to sort, so I will have to call out a tree surgeon. It avoided making a salat of the garage roof, but has completely flattened my two apricot trees.

I spent the morning clearing a safe path to the utility room at the back of the garage.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Cold, overcast and extremely blowy here chez Casa Reynard.

Overnight, my ash tree (about three foot across at the base of the trunk) had a branch come down. It's far too big for me to sort, so I will have to call out a tree surgeon. It avoided making a salat of the garage roof, but has completely flattened my two apricot trees.

I spent the morning clearing a safe path to the utility room at the back of the garage.
On the upside Ash burns lovely.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I know that. It's about the best there is - gives a good constant heat and doesn't burn too quickly.

Did you know that back in the day of cooking on oern fires, they used different wood to control the heat. Hazel burns ultra hot, ash is medium, while oak is your equivalent of "crock pot heat"

Just wish I could recognise the wood!

The thought occurs, is it better to use largish chunks or the smaller pieces in a stove.

Just wish I could recognise the wood!

The thought occurs, is it better to use largish chunks or the smaller pieces in a stove.

Larger chunks will burn more slowly. As @Gravity Aided says, a bit of both, depending on what you need. For my heating, chunks between 3 and 4 inches across are optimal once I've got a good bed of coals. Later in the evening, I'll go to double that once the back boiler is hot and I want a much gentler heat.

Top Bottom