Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Charity shop trip update..
I drove around the back of the shop, as requested, to donate a black sack of clothing and a box of drinking glasses, kitchen utensils and 5 bouncy balls.
I tied the top of the bag up and folded the top of the box in.
"It's still open, said the chap. I has to be taped shut! "
"OK, have you got some tape, please?"
"No"
"So you don't want it, then?"
"No"

So I popped that stuff back into the boot and took it a few doors down to another charity shop. A quick tap on the door and a cheery 'Thank you' from the lady volunteering there.
Guess who's getting my donations in the future...

Bloody ingrates!

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Little Miss P has found herself a part time job,It's only three weeks at Boots the chemist.But after knock back after knock back,she has finally opened a door.There is a faint chance in Jan she might be asked to stop on.This is not what she went to Uni for,but it gives her a chance to work.

In the meantime, Boots are making staff in their opticians redundant.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I've been handed a Kindle Version 3 (keyboard) that we've not used in a very long time. Won't charge. tested it, tried reset, think it needs a new battery.

OK time to dress up warm and get out on the bike. Not fitted ice tyres to the old MTB - they usually go on in November, but it's still rather soggy out and it's been our first proper frosty night since last winter. Might change that situation by weekend though.

Probably the best Kindle ever.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Still on 19.2, I'll be interested in your experience. Do you use a separate partition for /home?
I have a partition for Linux and one for Windows 10, though I use Linux almost exclusively. Updating to Linux Mint 20 was far easier than I anticipated with no troubleshooting needed afterwards which surprised me. I simply followed every instruction found here and all went well. The only issue was it was very time-consuming.

On day one, I ran the checks, ran Timeshift to create a snapshot, downgraded 3rd party packages, installed the upgrade tool, ran the simulation. This took several hours (especially Timeshift) and then the kids came home and the computer was needed. Overnight I ran downloaded the package updates.

On day two, I applied the upgrade to version 20. Started about 7AM and it finished about 12:30PM and then I followed the remaining steps and added the 3rd party PPAs for my apps. Done by 1PM.

Not a quick job by any stretch of the imagination, but then not one I'll need to do again for a while (hopefully). My Linux installation is running, quickly, smoothly and so far without issue.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Cold and damp here. Dropped a bike frame up to Keighley for a frame repair and it was sleeting on the hills :cold:

New neighbours opposite are now replacing the new white doors they've put in with other new charcoal grey doors because "they don't go together well enough". You chose the doors! So that's new windows / new doors x 2 / new kitchen / new bathroom / new walls / new heating system / new carpets and flooring (not in yet) and new decorating on a just-refurbished house :wacko:

The guess is they're spending £20-30k extra that they didn't need to. And when they move in they'll find the house is too small for them - that money would've built a nice orangery.

Last edited:
Cold and damp here. Dropped a bike frame up to Keighley for a frame repair and it was sleeting on the hills :cold:

New neighbours opposite are now replacing the new white doors they've put in with other new charcoal grey doors because "they don't go together well enough". You chose the doors! So that's new windows / new doors x 2 / new kitchen / new bathroom / new walls / new heating system / new carpets and flooring (not in yet) and new decorating on a just-refurbished house :wacko:

The guess is they're spending £20-30k extra that they didn't need to. And when they move in they'll find the house is too small for them - that money would've built a nice orangery.

*FACEPALM*

Top Bottom