Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well I am back from 21 glorious miles .
Hedgerows were alive with noise and flittering about .
No lambs seen yet in 2021:sad:
What a great start to the day:laugh:

There's one lower, middle is direct and top is an overdrive,

View: https://youtu.be/ARd-Om2VyiE

They rely on where the power is applied and where the out put it taken from, SA hubs have 2 'freewheels' within them (that's why they 'tick' in second and 3rd

Thanks !
It is a puzzle !:wacko: It's new to me and just by going how it feels has confused me .
It's my tandem or half a tandem whichever configuration I choose that has it . So my ride the other day was about bearable on my own in what I assume was 1st gear. I was riding at a similar pace to my steel racer or not far off , and that was on the flat . Inclines were a bit harder and so was a headwind . So what I'm thinking is is that it could do with a smaller chainring , possibly 2 teeth less.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks !
It is a puzzle !:wacko: It's new to me and just by going how it feels has confused me .
It's my tandem or half a tandem whichever configuration I choose that has it . So my ride the other day was about bearable on my own in what I assume was 1st gear. I was riding at a similar pace to my steel racer or not far off , and that was on the flat . Inclines were a bit harder and so was a headwind . So what I'm thinking is is that it could do with a smaller chainring , possibly 2 teeth less.
2 teeth won't make much difference, can you fit a bigger (22or 24) sprocket on the hub.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If they are, the citizens of Kirkudbright must be very intelligent.
I've cycled through Twatt :laugh:

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Morning.
It is dry here at the moment but it looks like we have had a hard frost .
I'm a bit puzzled about Sturmey Archer gearing . :wacko:. I used one once briefly way back in the 60's. What I'm confused about is in which way it operates! Does it gear up or down ? If you were to start in first would that be like direct drive from the chainring to rear sprocket or would that be lower than 1:1? :wacko: As you go up through the gears is it like overdrive ? :wacko:
It's something that I've never needed to bother about before !
There's a great video on YouTube where someone has cut away a SA hub and shows how it works. That said, I've watched it several times and still don't really understand. If I knew how to link I'd put it up for you.

Top Bottom