Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What a load of Horlicks the chap from the Rail Delivery Group just said on the Beeb just now . "We can't go around cutting down all of the trees near the track" . If they had done their jobs properly In the past then they wouldn't have had all the problems of leaves on the track causing wheels to slip , overhanging branches to hit trains or trees falling onto the lines ! In the past the trackside was kept clear, they had to them clear for the telegraph wires for one thing. :angry:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
snow is falling... all around us... children playyyying... having fun...

doubt it will stick though.

ps. sorry about the earworm.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Is McLeod a predominantly a Lewis name?

Anyhow, I remember reading an account that the present day form of the kilt was devised by a Lancashire man who had found that the existing long tartans were cumbersome and inefficient when it came to his foresting workers. Time and motion tartans....
There are MacLeods on Lewis but also Sutherland where my maternal grandfather belonged. There are MacLeods of Assynt which is further west tho' still in Sutherland. My wife's mother was a MacLeod from Lewis.
There are also variations in spelling of most of these names.
I still think the present day attire was invented by Walter Scott but there are no doubt other opinions.
Not many seem to wear a kilt as everyday dress nowadays but it was not uncommon about 50 years ago and I wore one fairly often. I never went for the overdone outfits you see nowadays for weddings but a more utilitarian outfit which has been seen on this forum in the past.

Top Bottom