Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
just opened a big can of whoop-*ss on their a*s

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Grey morning with no wind but high winds are forecast for tomorrow. Light rain forecast also but no signs of that yet.
Car is waiting to get collected by the garage for new front discs and pads.

I noticed yesterday that all the cars on my Glengorm trip were white with one exception. Some of them were probably hire cars run by the guests from the very upmarket holidays they run from the castle. The black one was a middle aged woman in a trouser suit I think going for an interview.
The castle advertises mostly in USA as the current owner is from there. Their telephone number was one digit different from my workshop and I had lots of fascinating chats with people from USA who had dialled the wrong number. These were people clearly not bothered about the cost of transatlantic phone calls.

Harbour Guest House has better ratings, and Glengorm is self-catering. I do not like self-catering. Although I usually eat out all the time on vacation, but never leave The States. Very attractive castle, but I would rather not put more strain on the ecology of such a place by my visiting. And I am 100% against airplanes, which narrows me down to Cunard.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I just visited with a couple in Illinois

Mrs GA says they are Calico, not Torties. She also says no cats, because they will jump on the fireplace mantel and break the carriage clock.

Mrs GA says they are Calico, not Torties. She also says no cats, because they will jump on the fireplace mantel and break the carriage clock.

We don't call tortie & white cats "calico" here in the UK. Calico is a type of fabric used for upholstering* chairs...

A tortie is a tortoiseshell. They can be black (your bog standard variety), blue (a dilute of black), chocolate (a different dilute of black), lilac (the dilute of chocolate), cinnamon, fawn (the dilute of cinnamon) or caramel (the result of a modifier gene that turns both blue and lilac to a warm slate grey). Add white to that, and it's just a tortie & white of whatever the colour is.

If the non-ginger bits are tabby as opposed to solid, then it's a tortie tabby - torbie in the US. Again, with or without white. And you have the same range of colours as above. The tabby bits can be classic (swirly pattern), mackerel (tiger stripes), spotted or ticked (like the pattern on a rabbit)

The rule of thumb when it comes to white on a tortoiseshell cat, is that the more white you have (as a result of the white spotting gene), the more "patched" the colours on the cat become. So you get bigger and more distinct areas of colour as opposed to the brindle mingling you get on a tortoiseshell that has no white on them at all.

* my father ran an upholstery workshop. I grew up around fabrics, leather, tools and furniture :blush:

P.S. Tell Mrs GA that at least cats don't chew the furniture. Or your shoes ;)

Top Bottom