Muppet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

domtyler said:
I find that a good bit of weaving around, i.e. to avoid man hole covers etc. when there is an peanut up your arse usually is enough to get them to think again. Failing that a quick squirt of gloss paint onto their windscreen will do the trick.

...and you always have gloss paint at the ready to squirt?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

col

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
But he only started causing a problem after I had initiated my overtake maneuver. I had started to overtake when he hit his horn. What should I have done? Hit the brakes and swerve to the left? That would be very unpredictable cycling and would put me at more risk than if I had carried on.

If I was to never overtake another cyclist when a car was behind I would hardly ever be able to overtake. You are trying to pin blame on me, when the driver was completely at fault. Your logic here (or lack of it) really puzzles me Col. :rolleyes:

Im only saying i wouldnt have chose to overtake at that time,i didnt realise ,well i should have really;),that a debate so detailed and diverse would have happened:smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

col said:
Im only saying i wouldnt have chose to overtake at that time,i didnt realise ,well i should have really;),that a debate so detailed and diverse would have happened:smile:

I've posted some controversial videos in the past, but I really didn't think this one would be. I got hassled from behind, and passed way to close, all when I was taking a defensive and appropriate road position. Hey ho. Maybe I should stop posting my videos................... :rolleyes:

It's a shame Steve Austin hasn't got back with some points and questions, I was quite looking forward to answering them.

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
It's a shame Steve Austin hasn't got back with some points and questions, I was quite looking forward to answering them.

Careful of this guy, if he doesn't like your posts he will delete them for you like he has done with mine in the past. :rolleyes::biggrin:!:rolleyes:

col

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
I've posted some controversial videos in the past, but I really didn't think this one would be. I got hassled from behind, and passed way to close, all when I was taking a defensive and appropriate road position. Hey ho. Maybe I should stop posting my videos................... :rolleyes:

No its not controversial,but i think because you complained about the driver honking then passing as he did,sparked some comments,especially ,as it seems ,you started to overtake as this driver wasnt far behind.That was my comment on the vid,not really controversial stuff,but the reaction and detailed description of primary,and how i am possibly illogical in not choosing to overtake here is surprising.:biggrin:
And i am positive you wont stop posting vids too,it gets a good debate going,and im not suggesting at all,that you might pick the ones you post,for just that reaction;):rolleyes:

magnatom said:
Jacomus
That has just raised a thought - a normal driver wouldn't have beeped you there, as you gave the cyclist the same room as they would give you... Mr Muppet beeped as he thought it totally unreasonable that you didn't skim the other cyclist with your elbow.
Everyone seems to be seeing what they want to see. If they would just look at the video they would see that I get honked just before I pass the cyclist. Yet if you read what the others are writing, I had already passed the cyclist. It doesn't matter that it is on video and that the facts are right in front of them! :rolleyes:

Yep. The driver was a muppet and a danger. The only fault in your handling of the situation was not blocking his dangerous pass right infront of the bus... OR not firing your standard issue, handlebar mounted rocket launcher.

It is very hard to stay "in the way" when a driver agressively beeps you, so you shouldn't feel bad about not being far enough over.

col
Thats my point,i wouldnt have overtook while a vehicle is coming up behind

The gutter cyclist should not factor into this. The riding position that is IMO the correct one to chose for the bridge would be a very strong primary position, holding it until the danger of the bus in the opposing lane had passed.

The road position of the gutter cycist is such that they would have been overtaken anyway by Magnatom when he assumed a strong primary to tackle the bridge. Waiting behind the gutter cyclist in the same position would have had the same effect on the moron in the car.

//////////////////////////

Anaylising road position in video

Analysing Magnatom's road position in the video, times in mm:ss, followed by situation and observed hazards

00:13 Approaching blind rise Risk of vehicles overtaking on a blind bridge.
00:20 Bridge ends. Approaching parked cars. Approaching risk of door zone
00:21 Next to red Astra Van. Risk of door zone
00.22 Empty space in layby, cyclist in gutter. Approaching risk of door zone
00:23 Next to white van. Beeped Risk of door zone
00:26 Turning on LHS. Risk of left hook and vehicles pulling out
00:29 Narrow road, cars parked on opposite side. Approaching bus, vehicles swerving into Magnatom's lane from opposing lane.
00:30 Mr Muppet overtakes. ONCOMING BUS
00:32 NO VEHICLES BEHIND BUS FOR 5 SECONDS

How would moving into secondary be safe along that stretch? At what point in the above time progression would it be safe to move into secondary in order to let Mr Muppet through?

col

Legendary Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Yep. The driver was a muppet and a danger. The only fault in your handling of the situation was not blocking his dangerous pass right infront of the bus... OR not firing your standard issue, handlebar mounted rocket launcher.

It is very hard to stay "in the way" when a driver agressively beeps you, so you shouldn't feel bad about not being far enough over.

The gutter cyclist should not factor into this. The riding position that is IMO the correct one to chose for the bridge would be a very strong primary position, holding it until the danger of the bus in the opposing lane had passed.

The road position of the gutter cycist is such that they would have been overtaken anyway by Magnatom when he assumed a strong primary to tackle the bridge. Waiting behind the gutter cyclist in the same position would have had the same effect on the moron in the car.

//////////////////////////

Anaylising road position in video

Analysing Magnatom's road position in the video, times in mm:ss, followed by situation and observed hazards

00:13 Approaching blind rise Risk of vehicles overtaking on a blind bridge.
00:20 Bridge ends. Approaching parked cars. Approaching risk of door zone
00:21 Next to red Astra Van. Risk of door zone
00.22 Empty space in layby, cyclist in gutter. Approaching risk of door zone
00:23 Next to white van. Beeped Risk of door zone
00:26 Turning on LHS. Risk of left hook and vehicles pulling out
00:29 Narrow road, cars parked on opposite side. Approaching bus, vehicles swerving into Magnatom's lane from opposing lane.
00:30 Mr Muppet overtakes. ONCOMING BUS
00:32 NO VEHICLES BEHIND BUS FOR 5 SECONDS

How would moving into secondary be safe along that stretch? At what point in the above time progression would it be safe to move into secondary in order to let Mr Muppet through?

The dark winter nights must fly by:laugh:

Tetedelacourse

Yeah but it's all about perceived risk isn't it? It's not a black and white thing. I mean, it's likely that the charmingly named "gutter cyclist" made his way along that same route and didn't feel endangered and didn't get any beeps, isn't it?

I think it probably is safer to ride how Magnatom rode. I wouldn't be surprised to hear a beep from a car driver whilst riding in this way though.

Mag don't stop posting vids, is generating discussion not your aim? This one's done that.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Tetedelacourse said:
Yeah but it's all about perceived risk isn't it? It's not a black and white thing. I mean, it's likely that the charmingly named "gutter cyclist" made his way along that same route and didn't feel endangered and didn't get any beeps, isn't it?

I think it probably is safer to ride how Magnatom rode. I wouldn't be surprised to hear a beep from a car driver whilst riding in this way though.

Mag don't stop posting vids, is generating discussion not your aim? This one's done that.

Don't worry. It would take a technical failure, a serious injury or a significant lottery win for me to stop posting videos (if I won the lottery it would be way, way below me to be posting videos for the proles to gawp at....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tetedelacourse

magnatom said:
Don't worry. It would take a technical failure, a serious injury or a significant lottery win for me to stop posting videos (if I won the lottery it would be way, way below me to be posting videos for the proles to gawp at....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You could have a film crew for all that stuff. Following you in the white Magnavan.

col

Legendary Member
Tetedelacourse said:
You could have a film crew for all that stuff. Following you in the white Magnavan.

Yeah,and vids of the reaction of the people held up by the magna van would make great debate:laugh:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I'm not perfect, I'm not an angel, but I try to live a certain way because it brings honour and respect to my mother. I tell people that when they look at me, they're looking at nothing but a big, overgrown, tough mama's boy. That's who I am.

:rolleyes:

col

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
I'm not perfect, I'm not an angel, but I try to live a certain way because it brings honour and respect to my mother. I tell people that when they look at me, they're looking at nothing but a big, overgrown, tough mama's boy. That's who I am.

:rolleyes:

Ya big jessie:biggrin:

Top Bottom