Muppet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Yep, it seems that you do! :rolleyes:

I don't understand your decision / opting to take secondary for the bridge, but you are free to chose a position (even if I think you're barmy!! :rolleyes::biggrin: )

I have had a thought col, since you are debating very reasonably, what kind of speed do you generally ride at? The reason I ask is that I have noticed a trend that seems to show the slower the cyclist, the closer to the curb they ride.

I know that I ride slightly closer to secondary when on Sir Walter, my knockabout, on which I cruise at around 25-30km/h. On my roadbike I hold a much more dominant primary cruising around 35-40km/h

Normally between 15 and 20 mph,i prefer to have my comp set at these,dunno why,just used to it i suppose,iv never been able to get used to kph.
My reasoning on the position ,wasnt to take secondary,but not to overtake if traffic is coming up behind,or if i had overtook,to move back in again,if it was safe to.I wasnt saying primary shouldnt be took.:biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
domtyler said:
The thing that is worrying me most is why you lot are wasting your time bickering with these three bumbling fuckwits.

:laugh:So i take it you dissagree totally?:rolleyes:

col said:
Normally between 15 and 20 mph,i prefer to have my comp set at these,dunno why,just used to it i suppose,iv never been able to get used to kph.
My reasoning on the position ,wasnt to take secondary,but not to overtake if traffic is coming up behind,or if i had overtook,to move back in again,if it was safe to.I wasnt saying primary shouldnt be took.:rolleyes:

Ohhhhhhhhhh I did not get that.

But surely overtaking the other cyclist, put Magnatom in the correct position for crossing the bridge!!

col

Legendary Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Ohhhhhhhhhh I did not get that.

But surely overtaking the other cyclist, put Magnatom in the correct position for crossing the bridge!!

Yes but once passed the bridge and cyclist, he stayed out didnt he? even after glancing back to see there was a car coming.It was that that got the honk i think.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

col said:
Yes but once passed the bridge and cyclist, he stayed out didnt he? even after glancing back to see there was a car coming.It was that that got the honk i think.

I did stay out (although not enough). Look at the video again. Can you see the dirty great bus coming the other way? Is it safe to overtake if it would take you into direct conflict with another road user?

Remember, if I am cycling in the secondary road position, he should still give me AT LEAST 1m room as he overtakes. On this road that would require that he crosses the central line, even if I was in the secondary position bringing him way to close to the oncoming traffic. (Look at where the bus is as it passes). Therefore, to prevent the maneuver I should take the primary position until it is safe for me to do otherwise. My only mistake here was I was not out far enough!

Oh and the honk happened as I was overtaking the other cyclist, just after the hill. Should I have been closer to the other cyclist? Should I not give him room?

Tetedelacourse

col said:

FWIW (not much probably), I finally had a look at the video last night. Am afraid to say I agree with Col. I think you got honked for being in the middle of the road after the bridge and after the other cyclist.

The driver's overtake was probably a little bit close but it's not something that I personally would have pursued. I can only conclude that my riding is not up to national standard :rolleyes:

But I do contest that you got shouted at "for no good reason"!:rolleyes:

ps I know it's been covered, but I was ending myself at "ever heard of the primary position?":biggrin:

Magnatom
Oh and the honk happened as I was overtaking the other cyclist, just after the hill. Should I have been closer to the other cyclist? Should I not give him room?

That has just raised a thought - a normal driver wouldn't have beeped you there, as you gave the cyclist the same room as they would give you... Mr Muppet beeped as he thought it totally unreasonable that you didn't skim the other cyclist with your elbow.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Tetedelacourse said:
FWIW (not much probably), I finally had a look at the video last night. Am afraid to say I agree with Col. I think you got honked for being in the middle of the road after the bridge and after the other cyclist.

The driver's overtake was probably a little bit close but it's not something that I personally would have pursued. I can only conclude that my riding is not up to national standard :rolleyes:

But I do contest that you got shouted at "for no good reason"!:rolleyes:

ps I know it's been covered, but I was ending myself at "ever heard of the primary position?":biggrin:

Are you watching a different video from the one I posted??! At the time the car behind honks I am OVERTAKING another cyclist. He is still slightly in front of me. Watch the video!!!! Prey tell Tete, what road position should I take when I am overtaking another cyclist.:biggrin:

Oh and I am happy to hear I amused you. B)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
That has just raised a thought - a normal driver wouldn't have beeped you there, as you gave the cyclist the same room as they would give you... Mr Muppet beeped as he thought it totally unreasonable that you didn't skim the other cyclist with your elbow.

Everyone seems to be seeing what they want to see. If they would just look at the video they would see that I get honked just before I pass the cyclist. Yet if you read what the others are writing, I had already passed the cyclist. It doesn't matter that it is on video and that the facts are right in front of them! :rolleyes:

Tetedelacourse

magnatom said:
Are you watching a different video from the one I posted??! At the time the car behind honks I am OVERTAKING another cyclist. He is still slightly in front of me. Watch the video!!!! Prey tell Tete, what road position should I take when I am overtaking another cyclist.:rolleyes:

Oh and I am happy to hear I amused you. :rolleyes:

OK I'll have another look at it tonight.

Overtaking another cyclist requires the primary position.:biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Everyone seems to be seeing what they want to see. If they would just look at the video they would see that I get honked just before I pass the cyclist. Yet if you read what the others are writing, I had already passed the cyclist. It doesn't matter that it is on video and that the facts are right in front of them! :rolleyes:

Thats my point,i wouldnt have overtook while a vehicle is coming up behind.:rolleyes:

domtyler

Über Member
I find that a good bit of weaving around, i.e. to avoid man hole covers etc. when there is an peanut up your arse usually is enough to get them to think again. Failing that a quick squirt of gloss paint onto their windscreen will do the trick.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

col said:
Thats my point,i wouldnt have overtook while a vehicle is coming up behind.:rolleyes:

But he only started causing a problem after I had initiated my overtake maneuver. I had started to overtake when he hit his horn. What should I have done? Hit the brakes and swerve to the left? That would be very unpredictable cycling and would put me at more risk than if I had carried on.

If I was to never overtake another cyclist when a car was behind I would hardly ever be able to overtake. You are trying to pin blame on me, when the driver was completely at fault. Your logic here (or lack of it) really puzzles me Col. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom