Muscles all wrong for running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Y

yello

Thanks Fiona, good advice. I did notice that it was a little more comfortable running uphill so what you say makes sense to me. Fortunately, I have got some tracks locally with quite significant incline so I'll aim to include them in an off-road circuit.

I too find the 'cold as you stand it' water therapy helps. In my case, it's only in the shower and then only for around a minute but the effect on tired muscles is incredible.

Blott's Mate

If your thighs started to protest after 500m I suspect you set off too fast. Try downing the pace. the person with the sharp pain on the r side of the knee - if it is the r leg then sounds like ITB trouble & probably starts from the hip. Need to do hip stretches after cycling & do some core work.

Running is good. Stick with it!

ACS

Legendary Member
3-IN-One said:
The problem i,ve got is if I run for about 3 miles a get a sharp pain in the right hand side of my knee and have to pull up,yet if I WERE to recover[3 weeks] and cycle 50 miles.........not a problem

I love running yet the knee wont take it,I,ve been to physio and stetched to my hearts content but still the running a pain in the ass.

Any tips much welcome

Is it a gait problem?

Excessive or under pronation on one side perhaps?

I found that the type of running shoes I wore caused more injuries than excessive milage. I could not run in any of the popular brands ending up with Brooks Beast.

Seek professional help, contact you local running club and see who they recommend or the physo for the local football club as they see this kind of problem everyday.

fossyant said:
You really have to build running up, especially if you mainly cycle. I did a couple of winters ago - started out with just a 10 min run (muscle damage) then extended it to a 30 minute hilly one by the time I'd got where I wanted... took a few months though.....

That said, I've not run for 2 years now as I commute by bike.

In a 'doh' moment many years ago - I went out one evening for a long run (having not run for a long time) - probably 5 miles.....lead to a hamstring injury and a fair few visits to a physio to get it 'fixed' before the race season started.... couldn't walk the next day...

It is not that. My legs ARE just to big to go running:sad:

When I started running regularly (last October) I found it to be a bit of a breeze. I'm doing 14.5 mile runs at the weekend without much effort. I'm even thinking of doing an ultra marathon in December. I find the cycling/running thing a great mix.

montage

God Almighty
Eat MY Dust said:
When I started running regularly (last October) I found it to be a bit of a breeze. I'm doing 14.5 mile runs at the weekend without much effort. I'm even thinking of doing an ultra marathon in December. I find the cycling/running thing a great mix.

Ultra marathon?
eeek - this is one of these 30/60 miles runs?

jiggerypokery

Über Member
I have this exactly as you describe it!

It's patellar tendonitis or iliotibial band syndrome and the only way you'll be able to tell is to have a scan unfortunately.

This is a fab site for hints and tips http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm but I do recommend you see a physio too and as described below you need to get your pronation/gait checked at a running shop where they will film you running and then do an analysis and give you the right shoe/insert - on top of that correcting your position on the bike/style of riding will go a long way to correcting the issues you have with running

satans budgie said:
Is it a gait problem?

Excessive or under pronation on one side perhaps?

I found that the type of running shoes I wore caused more injuries than excessive milage. I could not run in any of the popular brands ending up with Brooks Beast.

Seek professional help, contact you local running club and see who they recommend or the physo for the local football club as they see this kind of problem everyday.

Top Bottom