music dowloads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't agree with piracy at all. But I am a pedant, so it's not actually stealing. ;)
Stealing is to "take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it." I suppose the illegal download would be ok if you intended to re-upload the bytes after you had finished with them! :laugh:

I am feeling a bit down on the subject of piracy at the moment because the 3 areas that I would like to try and earn a living in (music, software, and ebooks) are all badly affected by the get-something-for-nothing culture that we have today. The Internet provides an amazing and empowering opportunity for people to get their digital wares out to a huge global audience. It would be really nice if appreciative people chose to pay a little for that work, rather than just hoovering it all up for nowt.

Perhaps we are heading back to an age of patronage where a small group of paying people subsidise the production of works to be enjoyed by the masses?

Stealing is to "take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it." I suppose the illegal download would be ok if you intended to re-upload the bytes after you had finished with them! :laugh:
But, "without intending to return it". Kind of sounds like you are depriving somebody of their property anyway. But if you pirate it, you're not actually taking it from somebody else, you kind of already have "returned" it. Since they still have it.

I am feeling a bit down on the subject of piracy at the moment because the 3 areas that I would like to try and earn a living in (music, software, and ebooks) are all badly affected by the get-something-for-nothing culture that we have today. The Internet provides an amazing and empowering opportunity for people to get their digital wares out to a huge global audience. It would be really nice if appreciative people chose to pay a little for that work, rather than just hoovering it all up for nowt.

Perhaps we are heading back to an age of patronage where a small group of paying people subsidise the production of works to be enjoyed by the masses?

Personally, I find that music piracy has reduced now simple methods of legally obtaining music has grown. iTunes, Spotify, Apple Music, etc, make it easier to obtain music legally and cheaply than piracy.

Example, I go onto iTunes, click buy, I have it, doesn't cost a massive amount. To pirate it, I have to find a torrent somewhere, then download it, hope it's not got viruses. Scan it, then upload it to whatever device I am using.

I think that movies still has a piracy issue as you often get a better product via piracy than a DVD, or a legitimate download.

I play Violin, and although a lot of popular books and sheet music are available via pdf as a download. I still purchase books (even though I use an iPad Pro for displaying sheet music), though it feels wrong to buy a book, then send it through a guillotine so I can scan the pages to PDF. But I still do have the books and the now loose leaf sheets at home.

So I don't think that it's entirely "something for nothing" but, get a legit Movie. You have to watch all the adverts you can't skip, then watch the piracy stuff, then the copy protect. Or download illegally and just be able to watch the movie no issue.

I would love to buy my music books in pdf format, but I understand it won't happen unless somebody comes up with a way of making them more difficult to copy.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Sugden Master Class :eek: nice Amplifier, when I split up with Pamela (amicably about 25yrs ago) I took my Hifi with me and we went shopping for a new set-up for her. She ended up with a Sugden A25B, fantastic sound.
I had a QUAD 33/303 at the time, still got it but I've now changed to a 44 pre and use a pair of 303s. My old 33 now acts as a turntable/phono amp to the Yamaha 5:1 surround amp in the front room.
My lovely QUAD set-up

Quad/Sugden - good kit. If anything ever goes wrong I post mine back to the manufacturer and they sort it out for a very reasonable fee.

A long while ago I had a Quad 33/303 and some of the old electrostatic speakers. Sounded nice - my (then) wife didn't like the look of the speakers though!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
But, "without intending to return it". Kind of sounds like you are depriving somebody of their property anyway. But if you pirate it, you're not actually taking it from somebody else, you kind of already have "returned" it. Since they still have it.
That was what my jokey post tried to acknowledge ... :whistle:
Personally, I find that music piracy has reduced now simple methods of legally obtaining music has grown. iTunes, Spotify, Apple Music, etc, make it easier to obtain music legally and cheaply than piracy.

Example, I go onto iTunes, click buy, I have it, doesn't cost a massive amount. To pirate it, I have to find a torrent somewhere, then download it, hope it's not got viruses. Scan it, then upload it to whatever device I am using.
Piracy may be reducing but do a few searches and find out how much musicians/composers are making through these new distribution methods!

Huge stars such as Adele are making a lot of money. Those further down the musical food chain are barely making anything. Most acts are only making a decent income if they do a lot of live performances.

I just found THIS interesting article by David Byrne.

Piracy may be reducing but do a few searches and find out how much musicians/composers are making through these new distribution methods!

Huge stars such as Adele are making a lot of money. Those further down the musical food chain are barely making anything. Most acts are only making a decent income if they do a lot of live performances.

I just found THIS interesting article by David Byrne.

Certainly! It's quite ironic really, the companies complain about piracy and not letting them earn money. But then with their other hand they're bleeding artists dry every way they can too!

Tin Pot

Guru
its time for me to get into the 21st century and learn how to download some music for when I'm training on the turbo. where's the best place for legal downloads?

Download? That's 90s.

Streaming. If you have a web connection when you are on your turbo just use YouTube and vevo for free, it's legal.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Quad/Sugden - good kit. If anything ever goes wrong I post mine back to the manufacturer and they sort it out for a very reasonable fee.

A long while ago I had a Quad 33/303 and some of the old electrostatic speakers. Sounded nice - my (then) wife didn't like the look of the speakers though!
The fact that the electrostatics ideally need to be 3 foot away from the back wall doesn't help either.

Top Bottom