My Boardman CX is being upgraded to a Chinese Carbon CX frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
tincaman

tincaman

Guru
OK, 220 miles in and all is well.
It has now been treated to a dark grey Ultegra crank from eBay, saved a few grams and it looks great, the ride is brilliant, stiff but comfortable, its a small frame but without the mudguards there is no toe overlap.
So:
Frame cost, £350 including seatpost, seatpost clamp, shipping and import duties
2 weeks to arrive.
No problems with the build at all, apart from the derailleur hanger needed re-aligning.
All the drillings were ok for mudguards, except the front forks which just had a hole right through, not a problem just needed a longer bolt to go all the way through with a nut on the other side.
I would recommend a BSA bottom shell if you are thinking of using Shimano, the BB's are dirt cheap and so simple to replace.
Flixxi was the supplier on Aliexpress, the box was marked up with a value of $100 so unless it gets opened then the import duty/fees are not too bad.

OP
OP
tincaman

tincaman

Guru
Despite aligning the rear hanger I have not been able to get the indexing perfect. For the grand total of £2.70! delivered from China I ordered two extra mech hangers. Fitting one of these has made quite a difference, the indexing is now back to how it should be
$_12.JPG

OP
OP
tincaman

tincaman

Guru
Well I thought the indexing was good but it turned out not be be so good on the road, after a few weeks I have finally worked out what it was. Shifting down the gears was OK but shifting back up was problematic, quite reluctant, cable tension made no difference to this. It turned out to be cable drag, as its internally cabled the routing is much more important.
I redid the cables and outers using Shimano SP41, swapped sides where the cables entered the frame at the head tube, which then meant that the 2 gear cables crossed over inside the down tube. Apparently this setup is called the California Cross.
I also increased the size of the rear mech loop outer. The difference is huge, it now runs perfectly and with a lighter action.

OP
OP
tincaman

tincaman

Guru
I have tyres fitted front and rear which measure 30mm width, and there is 15mm clearance each side on the front fork and 12mm each side at the back. Clearance above each tyre is at least 25mm. As its a Cross frame it is designed for big fat tyres. I have some 37mm Conti Topcontact Winter tyres to fit when its cold and it should cope with those no problem

Luegolover

OK, seems like I have been a real donut with the gear cables. So I am going to rip them out, remove the liners and go California Cross style.

Loving my bike though and getting lots of positive comments from other cyclists, just got to sort the niggles out.

Thanks for your help

OP
OP
tincaman

tincaman

Guru
Time for an upgrade to my Chinese CX, front HYrd and rear Spyre brakes are being replaced by Shimano hydraulics.
This also means that I have to upgrade to 11 speed as well. I have the RS685 shifters and calipers, plus front and rear mechs, cassette and chain.
I thought the shifters and brakes would be already assembled, with the system already bled as I have are them advertised like this, but it came in parts with bottles of oil.
I would have had to do the back brakes myself anyway as the hose has to go through the frame.
For those interested I will keep you up to date with progress

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
15 months on the Chinese frame has been swapped out for a Canyon Inflite AL SLX frame set.
Original carbon build was 8.4kg, this one comes out at 8.8kg.
Why have you swapped out the chinese frame?

Top Bottom