My Daughter and her white knuckle ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garethssmith

I've started to take my daughter to nursery on the back of my bike, mainly to get used to the new bike, but secondly to get her used to being on a bike.

She's 2 years old, and she absolutely loves it. Keeps asking to go further and further rather than the 2.5 mile trip in the mornings.

Here she is, all ready to go...

image.jpg

Berties

Fast and careful!
you definatley look the more nervous^_^

OP
OP
garethssmith

garethssmith

I was nervous as hell that first ride out. More confident now after a few times out though, just have to try to remember to keep my speed that little bit slower.

I know what you mean @Sandra6, I thought that, it takes no grace whatsoever, it's bending your legs in a way they're not really meant to go, but well worth it ;)

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
Fantastic picture, and good for you taking your little one to nursery by bike,
My first two off-spring went on a rear carrier, could of done with a Ladies step-through bike:becool:
I use a WEEride for my third which makes getting on and off a lot easier, and I can talk to him without having to take my eyes off the road

OP
OP
garethssmith

garethssmith

I looked at the WeeRide but was told they're not suitable for drop bar/road bikes because of the riding position so opted for the rear carrying seat instead. I'll look at the WeeRide again when I get my "cheap" hybrid for the winter months ;)

gavintc

Guru
Whenever I see somebody with a child on the back I always wonder how they manage to get on the bike without kicking the child in the head.
How is it done??!!

Thats why the child is wearing a helmet ^_^

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
I looked at the WeeRide but was told they're not suitable for drop bar/road bikes because of the riding position so opted for the rear carrying seat instead. I'll look at the WeeRide again when I get my "cheap" hybrid for the winter months ;)
Aah yes, dosen't suit the racer style of bike,

Sara_H

Guru
Apparently dutch men are not averse to riding step through framed bikes so they avoid kicking sprog in head when mountin/dismounting bike with a rear seat on.

Bryony

Veteran
My fiance's youngest occasionally goes in a rear seat, the very first time she hated it! She kept screaming, if he sped up (was only going about 5/6 mph) and screamed if it was a bit bumpy! She really had a look of terror on her face for the whole ride:laugh: She's much happier in it now and even wants to go faster, but she now would rather go on her bike which is great but we do put her in the seat if we're doing longish rides.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
That's great! I have never done the seat thing I have always done the trailer thing, mainly because I was far to wobbly when I started and didn't have enough confidence plus I had two to get in/on.

Top Bottom