My Daughter and her white knuckle ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Great pic...

My boy's nursery is only a 5 minute walk away so he has been riding his balance bike to school and back since he was 2½, they let him keep the bike the shed. He is the only child that cycles to school. The rest turn up in their 4x4's. If we are going to the park after nursery then I pick him up in his trailer. I remember one parent say that she was going to get one. That was nearly a year ago...but she still drives.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
Great pic...

My boy's nursery is only a 5 minute walk away so he has been riding his balance bike to school and back since he was 2½, they let him keep the bike the shed. He is the only child that cycles to school. The rest turn up in their 4x4's. If we are going to the park after nursery then I pick him up in his trailer. I remember one parent say that she was going to get one. That was nearly a year ago...but she still drives.

I hear lots of small people asking other parents for a trailer like Maggie's rather than the car or the pushchair, we do have quite a few that do cycle though via different methods, I am pleased that pre-school has a cycle/scooter rack, albeit that it is currently tucked behind a porta cabin

Lincov

My top tip with having a kid on a rear bike seat is to get a double kickstand - the most dangerous bit is getting them on and off and it's so much easier with a stand. Though it adds a decent chunk of weight to the bike! My son loves his co-pilot taxi, but we're going to have to upgrade to a Bobike soon as he's getting too big for it (I bought the wrong one!).

Globalti

Legendary Member
One of my earliest memories is of my Mum putting me on the bendy metal child set on the back of her bike; I was so terrified I haven't ever forgotten it. It was mostly the bendiness of the seat that scared me.

Lincov

My top tip with having a kid on a rear bike seat is to get a double kickstand - the most dangerous bit is getting them on and off and it's so much easier with a stand. Though it adds a decent chunk of weight to the bike! My son loves his co-pilot taxi, but we're going to have to upgrade to a Bobike soon as he's getting too big for it (I bought the wrong one!).
I have to update this advice.... I went on a ride in foul weather the other day and when I stopped I used the kickstand to support the bike. It then jammed, resulting in me turning the bike upside down to force it back into position, and managing to completely shear off the mounting plate instead :-(. So I'm currently without a stand, I've seen a chain stay mounted stand, but this article has scared me off them. I may have to carry my son on my old BSO instead.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
I was nervous as hell that first ride out. More confident now after a few times out though, just have to try to remember to keep my speed that little bit slower.

I know what you mea;)n @Sandra6, I thought that, it takes no grace whatsoever, it's bending your legs in a way they're not really meant to go, but well worth it

I can relate my first ride out with the Wee Hoo attached (one wheel not two like the trailer) only up the street and back on Christmas Day resulted in my Mum telling me I looked totally terrified before I started and she was quite correct.. fine with it after about 5 minutes practice though.

Top Bottom