My first 10 miler, wahoo!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Try riding in an easier gear and let your legs go round faster. It's the most common mistake most people make. you really shouldn't be pushing down on the pedals that hard unless you are going up a big hill.

Rule of thumb:

Tired legs = too difficult gear
Out of breath = too easy gear
Tired legs and out of breath = get out on your bike more :biggrin:
Well done BTW :thumbsup:

Great advice. When I started out I spent the entire time in the two biggest gears. I wondered why anyone bothered with the rest. I also wondered why my knees were killing me. Thankfully, I learned a bit on here about cadence and spinning. I'm just glad my bottom bracket survived those early forays.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Working your way up to adding another 0 to the end of that 10 miler ;)

aberal

Guru
Ok, ok I know nearly everyone on here has done a hell of a lot more than that, but today I did my first 10 miler and I'm very proud of myself.
Just needed to say it out loud :smile:

You have now no option but to do 15 miles next weekend. It's compulsory. Plan your route now and report back here next week.
biggrin.gif

p.s. you'll be surprised how easy it is....

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Well done Bev.
We did a 10 miler the other day and it ended up as 11 in the end as we didn't want to stop at the bottom of a hill, we went up the other side before turning.
It feels so good to meet a goal, does it not?

jackm

I remember my first 10 miler, about 2 years ago, it was a big acheivment at the time...................today only had time for a quick ride after work, did 17!!!Hoping to do 50 on Monday.

Well done on reaching your first landmark.

DTD

Veteran
Try riding in an easier gear and let your legs go round faster. It's the most common mistake most people make. you really shouldn't be pushing down on the pedals that hard unless you are going up a big hill.

Rule of thumb:

Tired legs = too difficult gear
Out of breath = too easy gear
Tired legs and out of breath = get out on your bike more :biggrin:
Well done BTW :thumbsup:

Well done – agree with Rapples – also is you seat high enough? Another cause of sore knees/tired thighs is having the seat set too low.

OP
OP
B

bev

Just accomplished another 10 miles today too... Who'd have thought it!! My bike computer says 101.5 miles completed. How chuffed am I?? Not bad for an old, fat ,asthmatic fart..... :rolleyes:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Congratulations. 10 mile is a great mile stone. :biggrin:

OP
OP
B

bev

Just accomplished another 10 miles today too... Who'd have thought it!! My bike computer says 101.5 miles completed. How chuffed am I?? Not bad for an old, fat ,asthmatic fart..... :rolleyes:

101.5 miles in 5 weeks not just today lol :thumbsup:

Scotmitchy

Wooo hooo well done you! I did my first 10 miler almost a year ago, and actually hollered out loud (and astonished some sheep!) when I realised I was in double figures.

It's a great achievement and you will soon be clocking up all that and more.

Well done again!:biggrin:

OP
OP
B

bev

Thanks people for all your support and advice.
I still can't believe I've done it. If someone had told me 5 weeks ago that I would be cycling 10 miles, I would have laughed at them.
If I can do it, anyone can :biggrin:

Saluki

World class procrastinator

101.5 miles in 5 weeks not just today lol :thumbsup:

Well done.
I too am a fat, asthmatic fart. I am more middle aged I think (when does middle age start anyway). Your 5 week mileage is great, good on you :thumbsup:
Keep up the good work

Top Bottom