My first 10 miler, wahoo!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NeilEB

Sorry to thread jump, but I also just did my first 10 miler today - 11.25 miles to be exact.

I'm a bit worried as I found it a bit too easy - however it was nice and flat, from Cassiobury Park, along the Grand Union towpath, to the Aquadrome and back again.

Aside from a sore bum (who knew towpaths were that bumpy), I was never really out of breath, and my legs feel fine.

teletext45

Well done!!

I remember my first ride after getting my road bike, managed 2 miles before i was pooped!

Keep it up! and those times when you question your ability ( like i always seem to do) reflect on where you've come from

:biggrin:

andy

Sorry to thread jump, but I also just did my first 10 miler today - 11.25 miles to be exact.

I'm a bit worried as I found it a bit too easy - however it was nice and flat, from Cassiobury Park, along the Grand Union towpath, to the Aquadrome and back again.

Aside from a sore bum (who knew towpaths were that bumpy), I was never really out of breath, and my legs feel fine.

Well done and I wouldn't worry if you found it too easy, you are just ready for bigger and better things :thumbsup:

NeilEB

Well done and I wouldn't worry if you found it too easy, you are just ready for bigger and better things :thumbsup:

But that's the thing - I'm not fit in the slightest. almost 17st, asthmatic, and get knackered playing 5 a side after 10 minutes.

Maybe it was due to the almost flat route, but I felt like I could have cycled double the distance. The only hard bit was going back to my car which involved quite a long steep hill.

I'm just wondering if I'm not 'doing it right' - I know I pedal then coast, then pedal and coast - I'm trying to maintain a steady cadence but it just doesn't happen. I'm also trying to increase speed, but that section of the tow path was busier then the M25 on Sunday!

Oh and a quick note to Herts council - if you're going to spend money on producing brochures advertising the tow-path as a great cycling route, please spend a few coins on triming back the bushes and overhanding branches. Let's just say I'm glad my wife made me buy a helmet!

But that's the thing - I'm not fit in the slightest. almost 17st, asthmatic, and get knackered playing 5 a side after 10 minutes.

Maybe it was due to the almost flat route, but I felt like I could have cycled double the distance. The only hard bit was going back to my car which involved quite a long steep hill.

I'm just wondering if I'm not 'doing it right' - I know I pedal then coast, then pedal and coast - I'm trying to maintain a steady cadence but it just doesn't happen. I'm also trying to increase speed, but that section of the tow path was busier then the M25 on Sunday!

Oh and a quick note to Herts council - if you're going to spend money on producing brochures advertising the tow-path as a great cycling route, please spend a few coins on triming back the bushes and overhanding branches. Let's just say I'm glad my wife made me buy a helmet!

You are fitter than you think you are :smile: If you are not getting tired, you are doing it right ;)

NeilEB

Well, that's a bit of a come down.

I went out for a ride yesterday, but immediately felt I had no power in my legs.
Whether my body was recovering from Sunday's ride, or whether it was the day at work that did it, I just didn't feel right at all.

Only managed 3.5 miles, and had my slowest speed ever.

I'm taking a day off to recover, then trying again tomorrow.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

I went out for a ride yesterday, but immediately felt I had no power in my legs.
Whether my body was recovering from Sunday's ride, or whether it was the day at work that did it, I just didn't feel right at all.

Go for one day on two off in the beginning. Also what did you eat before you rode?

Don't let it dishearten you, we all have off days, wrong food, wrong weather etc. rest up and enjoy your next ride :smile:

NeilEB

Didn't eat much before hand which may have been the problem - but then I've done a ride after work before and felt ok.
I wasn't really expecting to do a huge distance, but my legs just felt so weak.
I'm taking today off, then trying again tomorrow. I have a nice 10 mile route planned (taking a meandering path to my parents that misses the 'hill of doom'.

After that I wont be riding again till Saturday where I hope to do 15 miles or so :-)

aberal

Guru
If you are just starting it's probably best to stick to one mid-week ride to start off with and build up your weekend mileage by a couple of extra miles a week, though I reckon the step up from 10 to 15 is easy enough. Give it a couple of weeks then try a couple of extra rides during the week of maybe 5-7 miles or so. You problem now is that we are slowly descending into the darker evenings which makes evening rides a little difficult.

OP
OP
B

bev

Instead of starting new thread, I thought I would just add to this one... after doing my first 10 miles last Saturday, I did another 10 on Sunday and have just completed a 12.4 miles this morning.
I'm getting there, slowly but surely :smile:

Top Bottom