My first 10 miler, wahoo!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bev

Hmmm, it might have to be 15 first.
Don't want to scare myself!! :whistle:

NeilEB

I'm heading out soon - going to hit the tow path again, but this time try and find a route into Whippendell Woods - hopefully I can do 15 or even 20 miles

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I'm heading out soon - going to hit the tow path again, but this time try and find a route into Whippendell Woods - hopefully I can do 15 or even 20 miles

Good luck fella. Take a look at Google Earth, Mapmyride or the like. They are pretty good at letting you plot routes and the latter does a hill overview of the route as well :smile:

OP
OP
B

bev

After doing my ride yesterday, I tried to cycle again this morning but it felt like pedalling in treacle. It was extremely hard going and could only manage 5 miles today. My thighs 'locked' up and I felt sick and ill.
Is this usual or am I doing something wrong? After doing my best distance yesterday,I feel a bit disappointed. :sad:

barongreenback

Über Member
Wrong gear? Did you feel like you were grinding and pushing along? Try a lower gear, even if it feels like there's very little resistance to your pedalling.

OP
OP
B

bev

I tried that but it was more me and not the bike.
My thighs just sort of bunched up, no pain though,and I started feeling strange, headache, over heating, feeling dizzy and sick.
Perhaps I overdone it yesterday?
I've got to remember that I'm an overweight middle aged woman not a sporty teenager!!!

barongreenback

Über Member
Quite possibly - it's warm at the moment too, so easy to underestimate how much fluid you use in the heat (I'm an overweight 30 something who sweats like a pig in a Turkish bathhouse).

OP
OP
B

bev

barongreenback.....

Lol.....that's a great picture I have in my head now, even better than the one I must implant in peoples heads when Im cycling. :laugh:

OP
OP
B

bev

Bev - 12 miles for a beginner is good going. You probably did not give your body enough time to recover.

Mmmm,I'm thinking that Angelfishsolo. I'm feeling ok now, abit of burning in my legs,but ok. You never know, perhaps I've managed to find muscles under the cellulite!!!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Mmmm,I'm thinking that Angelfishsolo. I'm feeling ok now, abit of burning in my legs,but ok. You never know, perhaps I've managed to find muscles under the cellulite!!!

When I started road biking after MTBing I felt a much deeper muscle ache than I had experienced before. I was using muscles in different ways. That is what you have been doing. After a long ride have a few days off and then go for a short gentle ride. Buring legs can sometimes be eased by massage (I have a little gizzmo that works wonders - A semi-circle of plastic with knobbly rollers forming a D shape) or a long soak in the bath :smile:

OP
OP
B

bev

When I started road biking after MTBing I felt a much deeper muscle ache than I had experienced before. I was using muscles in different ways. That is what you have been doing. After a long ride have a few days off and then go for a short gentle ride. Buring legs can sometimes be eased by massage (I have a little gizzmo that works wonders - A semi-circle of plastic with knobbly rollers forming a D shape) or a long soak in the bath :smile:

Thanks for the advice Angelfishsolo.Its definately a deep muscle ache and long soak and day off sounds good. Hopefully it will not put me off of doing longer rides as Im really into it at the moment.
Perhaps it was too much too soon, but alas thats me, bull in a china shop!!:wahhey:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Thanks for the advice Angelfishsolo.Its definately a deep muscle ache and long soak and day off sounds good. Hopefully it will not put me off of doing longer rides as Im really into it at the moment.
Perhaps it was too much too soon, but alas thats me, bull in a china shop!!:wahhey:

It goes pretty quickly. Keep mobile before of after the soak so the legs don't stiffen.

Top Bottom