My first fixie ride!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I ride fixed alot, and its what i preferre. Im used to it, I run 44/18 and can get up every hill ive had to go up.
Its not a zen thing, its just a different feel.
Yes you can stop pretty quick, you just have to learn how to leg brake properly. So you pull the front brake and brake with your legs and you can slow down fast.
Fixed is what i love riding, and now im on the Giant untill the fixed is fixed, i ending up just staying in one gear and pushing that gear, which turns out to be 50/19:becool:
I love fixed, and when im in traffic i preffere it, i can brake alot easier at lower speeds, but you do have to be confident with clipless so you know you can brake and trackstand or unclip fast.

D

Deleted member 1258

Pearson72 said:
I own a Langster Monaco and for the last two days i've had it in fixed wheel. Wow what a nightmare! Is there a benifit to it or is it just a life style?;)

Stick with it, give it time, it will take a little time to get used to it. When I brought my Pearson, about fifteen month ago, I haden't been on fixed since the early nineties and it took a couple of weeks to get used to it again. I originally brought the fixed just to ride to work and back but it soon was getting used for club rides and leisure rides as well, and soon became the bike I prefered. At the moment my geared bike sits in the shed, I haven't used it since the end of October.

Twiggy

You use your rear brake?

I can't remember the last time I used mine beyond checking that it worked. (check prior to each ride)

D

Deleted member 1258

Twiggy said:
You use your rear brake?

I can't remember the last time I used mine beyond checking that it worked. (check prior to each ride)

Back brake got used a fair bit recently, riding in the icy conditions we have had over the last few weeks, on ice legs a and a touch of rear brake much better idea than trying to use the front brake. Normally the back brake don't get used.

yello

I use my rear brake. It's fitted and works so why not? I tend to brake evenly (front and rear), and couldn't tell you which lever is which so I'm not about to take time out to check which is front and which is rear and then NOT use it! That said, most of the riding I do is rural and traffic/people free - I rarely need to brake other than via the pedals.

dave r said:
Back brake got used a fair bit recently, riding in the icy conditions we have had over the last few weeks, on ice legs a and a touch of rear brake much better idea than trying to use the front brake. Normally the back brake don't get used.

Exactly.I normally mixed front and back braking.Don't want to rely on the front brake all the time.You may lose the front wheel and then you are off.

Joe24

Twiggy said:
You use your rear brake?

I check my rear brake every so often. I give it a squeeze then put it back on the shelf in the shed:laugh:
I leg brake alot, but also use the front brake so there isnt as much pressure on my legs.
Took the back brake off because i just didnt use it, even on fast downhills i didnt use it. If i go into Derbyshire training then it might get put back on:wacko:

I've just got rid of mine, t'was a silly thing that knackered my knees and didn't lend itself to maneuvering through traffic, for example catching a pedal on a kerb.

I might build another one day, but would probably opt for a free wheel and definitely 2 brakes. Anyone who says they can stop just as well, in a controlled manner (especially in the wet), using just the front brake and their legs, or skid stops, is kidding themselves.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I doubt it was the fact of fixed itself that knackered your knees. More likely to be bike setup, or trying to do too much too soon.

Joe24

Im with BentMikey, your set up must of been wrong. My knees ached abit, but after i got used to it my knees were fine.
As for stopping, i still think you can stop just fine using your front brake and your legs. Get your legs used to leg braking and you can stop just fine.

Joe24

HeartAttack said:
I agree legs and rider do get used to leg braking but it never hurts to have 2 brakes for added safety

I agree with that. Some people in the club say i should have to incase my chain comes off, but i just dont bother:laugh:

Possibly the setup, but unlikely as the knee issue developed after about 5 months (3000 miles) of winter riding, so probably also not too much too soon. Knee problems for some people riding fixed is not unheard of.

I agree leg braking can be effective, but please don't try and tell me it's as quick or efficient as two conventional brakes. What would you prefer on a wet road when someone steps out in front of you?

You'll be telling me a courier bag is better than an 'off the back' rucsac next, or narrow bars are more efficient than wider drops, or cards in your spokes make you more aerodynamic.

Joe24

joebe said:
Possibly the setup, but unlikely as the knee issue developed after about 5 months (3000 miles) of winter riding, so probably also not too much too soon. Knee problems for some people riding fixed is not unheard of.

I agree leg braking can be effective, but please don't try and tell me it's as quick or efficient as two conventional brakes. What would you prefer on a wet road when someone steps out in front of you?

You'll be telling me a courier bag is better than an 'off the back' rucsac next, or narrow bars are more efficient than wider drops, or cards in your spokes make you more aerodynamic.

Well duh.xx(
And infact no brakes fixed riding is better to stop because you have less weight there to stop, so because theres less weight it means you stop faster.
God, everyone knows this :biggrin:
:evil::sad::laugh:

Top Bottom