My first long ride, cold feet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Veganpower

I did my first long ride this afternoon and I'm feeling pretty proud of myself, here's the strava. Now that my bike is set up a bit better it was a really good fun. My bum feels a lot better than expected. The real casualty was my feet. OMG they were like two blocks of ice. My cycling shoes are great but they seem to have a lot of vents. For the return trip I borrowed some tin foil to wrap around my toes (It was on you tube) but that didn't make the slightest bit of difference.

I'm defiantly going to get some of them over shoes boot things. It was nice that all the other cyclist said hi as passing.

I tried my jersey and bib for the first time. I really looked the part (maybe a bit tight:laugh:) but difficult if you are in a hurry to take a leak!!!

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Overshoes , they are the law in winter, i would not go out of the house on a long ride without them.
altura_nevis_overshoes_aw11.jpg

Life savers , keep your feet toasty warm

nappadang

Über Member
I agree with all above. You might also consider Sealskinz stocks, I find them really effective both for warmth and that extra windproofing through the vents.
I found some thermal socks in Aldi that were reduced to 99p a pair and they are brilliant. I only bought 3 pairs, had I known how good they were I'd have cleaned them out.
Also worth remembering that you shouldn't have your shoes done up too tight, wool socks need room to trap and heat up air.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was going to post my OZZO overshoes recommendation but i think you have enough to decide about. Get yourself some overshoes you'll feel the difference!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Merino socks, plastic sandwich bags over. Block vents in soles with blue tack. Endura neoprene overshoes. Wind proof. No overshoes are 100% waterproof, they have to have holes for your cleats after all, but if you wear merino socks your feet will stay warm (sort of) even when wet :thumbsup:. Recent floods were a real test of this.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
i think it's been said pretty well but, wiggle them toes and don't over tighten your shoes.
i'll happily ride in winter sans overshoes but good socks are a must have, thermal is best. for long rides i do like to stop occasionally and have a walk, returns a lot of blood flow (big hills help with this :biggrin: )

Crankarm

Guru
For winter riding you need winter boots preferably insulated and Gore-tex Shimano MW80 ideally, one size larger than your usual shoe size and use the layering system - thin Endura Coolmax liners, then mid layer sock such as an Endura or Smart Wool sock then a thick outer sock preferably one made of merino wool such as an Icebreaker Mountaineer sock or Feet Heater socks (2.3 togs) £5 from Wickes at the moment. Don't use plastic bags as your feet need to breath as surprisingly they sweat like any other part of your body and if you use plastic bags your feet will drown in their own sweat, yuk. HTH.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
For winter riding you need winter boots preferably insulated and Gore-tex Shimano MW80 ideally, one size larger than your usual shoe size and use the layering system - thin Endura Coolmax liners, then mid layer sock such as an Endura or Smart Wool sock then a thick outer sock preferably one made of merino wool such as an Icebreaker Mountaineer sock or Feet Heater socks (2.3 togs) £5 from Wickes at the moment. Don't use plastic bags as your feet need to breath as surprisingly they sweat like any other part of your body and if you use plastic bags your feet will drown in their own sweat, yuk. HTH.
That might well be true for you, but I really do not experience any such problems on rides up to 4 hours or so. I think it is really important not to make your shoes tight by wearing socks that are too thick or by trying to wear two or more layers if your shoes aren't big enough. I would agree that the best solution is probably winter cycling boots as described by Crankarm.

Kbrook

Veteran
I have tried everything, I have overshoes, I've tried heat holder socks, bought some castelli merino wool socks, nothing works. It is the only thing spoiling my riding, in fact today I haven't gone out for that reason alone. I went out yesterday when it was nowhere near as cold as today and my feet were completely numb on return. Any other suggestions, anybody tried heated socks are they worth a go?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I have tried everything, I have overshoes, I've tried heat holder socks, bought some castelli merino wool socks, nothing works. It is the only thing spoiling my riding, in fact today I haven't gone out for that reason alone. I went out yesterday when it was nowhere near as cold as today and my feet were completely numb on return. Any other suggestions, anybody tried heated socks are they worth a go?
invest in a pair of good winter goretex boots, from the likes of northwave or shimano - they really are a god send on cold winter rides and you might get 3 winter seasons out of a really good pair.

Top Bottom