My first MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Also check out the full rides of other people doing the same off road segments as you. The faster people tend to do longer rides giving you a few ideas of trails to try.

Another great suggestion.

I noticed from the ride I did on Friday that a chap I know locally holds the KOMs for most of the strava segments I covered, so I’ll have to ask him for some tips - or even go out for a ride with him, though he’s out injured at the moment.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ive switched to the dark side after breakung my spine. Had enough of crappy drivers. Booked last Friday off to go out on the MTB as the weather was great. Did 16 flatish miles Thursday evening then 23 miles, 3000 feet of climbing on Friday. The trails are very dry. Im lucky as we have loads of off road routes with little need to use roads. Certainly no main roads.

Loving full suspension and the ability to blast over poor surfaces. My descending is slowly improving as my technique gets better.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
i doubt you will be going back ;-)

Well, I think I'll always be a roadie at heart. Besides which, I need to give the Kili back soon (boo!) so that will put a stop to my MTB fun - at least temporarily...

Been out on it again this afternoon though. Went out via the bridleway behind my house into the woods, where there are many trails to explore. Ended up getting completely lost. Came across another group of riders and mentioned to them that I didn't have a clue where I was. They were concerned for a moment until I added "...but that's half the fun of it, isn't it?" ^_^

Starting to get a bit of confidence with the bike handling and pushing it a bit harder on the twisty sections. Nearly got caught out by a jump though - no way was I carrying enough speed to get over it, but I noticed it in time and changed my course to take the wimp route round it. Came across a series of much more serious jumps a bit further on. Might be a while before I'm up to having a go on them.

mtb.jpg

Ciar

Veteran
Well, I think I'll always be a roadie at heart. Besides which, I need to give the Kili back soon (boo!) so that will put a stop to my MTB fun - at least temporarily...

Been out on it again this afternoon though. Went out via the bridleway behind my house into the woods, where there are many trails to explore. Ended up getting completely lost. Came across another group of riders and mentioned to them that I didn't have a clue where I was. They were concerned for a moment until I added "...but that's half the fun of it, isn't it?" ^_^

Starting to get a bit of confidence with the bike handling and pushing it a bit harder on the twisty sections. Nearly got caught out by a jump though - no way was I carrying enough speed to get over it, but I noticed it in time and changed my course to take the wimp route round it. Came across a series of much more serious jumps a bit further on. Might be a while before I'm up to having a go on them.

View attachment 410570

Very nice indeed looks a bit like Epping my local :smile: give the bike back and go pick up one asap and you don't have to have a full suss you could always ride a hardtail as it's a great bike to learn on, or even a hardcore hardtail, more travel up front and slacker riding position, either way i hope you continue on.

Venod

Eh up
I do mountain biking when it is drier and road biking in the colder months.

Although I do a bit of MTB in the winter, like you I much prefer the spring/summer/autumn months when the tracks are (usually) drier, I find it it strange that a lot of guys in my club only ride MTB in the winter months preferring the road in summer.

I have been on a single ring 11 speed recencently but just ordered some bits to go 2 x 11, I felt a bit restricted on the single ring.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

View attachment 410570

Perry woods? Blean forest?

Salar

A fish out of water
I used to love riding in the winter, nice and cool and muddy. :smile:

One memory which I'll never forget, it was a Sunday morning, probably early March, I'd ridden high up into the forests of Wales, the recent fall of late winter snow was deep and the sky a bright blue.

As I turned the corner at the top of the fire track a vixen was leaping and playing with her young cubs rolling them around in the snow, just glad to be alive.

I know foxes have a controversial reputation , depending on your opinion, but it was a lovely sight to witness.
Living in rural Wales foxes visit my garden and scream at night, but the sight of the family in the snow, full of playfulness and learning was something special.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Perry woods? Blean forest?

Blean (Church Woods). Do you know it? The big jumps I came across were down in the bit between Rough Common and Upper Harbledown.

Should try Perry Woods as well, but that would require taking it in the car.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Blean (Church Woods). Do you know it? The big jumps I came across were down in the bit between Rough Common and Upper Harbledown.

Should try Perry Woods as well, but that would require taking it in the car.

I do but not ridden them yet but will try them. not sure if bikes are permitted in Blean woods but I've seen them there .
Perry wood has an 8-10 mile loop and a freeride section with jumps.

Alan O

Über Member
I've always been a roadie, apart from occasionally dabbling in cyclocross, but lately I've been hankering after doing a spot of proper offroading. After 45 years on this planet, it's about time I extended my cycling horizons.

So, I was very pleased to get the opportunity to borrow a Saracen Kili Flyer - alloy frame, full suspension, 27.5in wheels, dropper post. I wouldn't know what to look for in an MTB but I've been told this is one is decent enough for riding cross-country trails.

Took it up to the local woods yesterday afternoon for a quick blast round the trails. What fun!

Riding with full suspension for the first time was really strange - hitting ditches at speed that I would normally expect to throw me off the bike but just bouncing through them is something I'll need to get used to. Cornering is weird too - the short stem and wide bars seem to let you wrench the bike hard round stupidly tight bends with relative ease. I didn't come anywhere close to testing the limits of the tyres' grip, but I did manage to drift the rear wheel a couple of times (not entirely deliberately), which was satisfying.

Only fell off three times - mostly through lack of confidence in the bike's ability to deal with the terrain in a few heavily rutted sections. I can see that more experience and getting used to how the bike handles will make a big difference.

The ground was mostly dry but I managed to find a few mud patches - including one patch that was ankle-deep and stopped me dead. I had to get off and walk through it. Got home absolutely filthy, which was also quite satisfying.

Overall, I only covered 8km but it was a real workout. Planning to go out tomorrow for a longer ride.

I think I'm already a convert to MTB! Might need to see if I can negotiate holding onto this bike for a while... or start saving up to buy one.
Similarly, I've been riding road bikes on and off since my early teens, but I was tempted by a GT Avalanche at the end of 2016 for £110 on eBay. And I love it - going out for a weekend mudbath is great fun.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I do but not ridden them yet but will try them. not sure if bikes are permitted in Blean woods but I've seen them there .
Perry wood has an 8-10 mile loop and a freeride section with jumps.

The marked walking trails in Blean Woods (starting at Rough Common) are off limits to bikes and dog walkers but there are plenty of other trails where bikes are permitted (or at least not actively banned, as far as I can see).

Bodhbh

Guru
Although I do a bit of MTB in the winter, like you I much prefer the spring/summer/autumn months when the tracks are (usually) drier, I find it it strange that a lot of guys in my club only ride MTB in the winter months preferring the road in summer.

Same - it's the constant maintenance caused by all mud that's the killer for me. Every couple weeks something will go on the drive train. Some of the bridleways are like the Battle of the Somme over winter, probably not helped by off-roading.

Alan O

Über Member
Same - it's the constant maintenance caused by all mud that's the killer for me. Every couple weeks something will go on the drive train. Some of the bridleways are like the Battle of the Somme over winter, probably not helped by off-roading.
I hose my bike down at the end of every muddy ride, let it drip dry for a while and then liberally spray with GT85 to dispel water (carefully avoiding the brake pads and discs), and then relube. The bike seems to be fine with that.

Bodhbh

Guru
I hose my bike down at the end of every muddy ride, let it drip dry for a while and then liberally spray with GT85 to dispel water (carefully avoiding the brake pads and discs), and then relube. The bike seems to be fine with that.

I'll generally clean and relub the chain after every ride, spray GT85 into the hinges of the mechs, scrape off all the mud with a stick, etc. Problem is you caked again 10mins into the next ride, mud strips all the lube from the chain and starts getting everywhere again and then your riding around with it grinding everything down.

Top Bottom