My first MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is bollox and it bugs me every time I hear/read it! There is nothing big or clever about crashing off your bike and doing so is a failure, period!
......and I do try damn hard!

It was said in jest, it's the kind of thing I've said to a mate after they've crashed as part of the obligatory mick taking that follows checking he's ok.

The reality is, as you say, crashing is a result of a mistake, or pushing yourself / bike or trying something new.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
So far I’m enjoying pushing my limits as far as I dare in return for increased thrill quotient. Where’s the fun in playing it safe? I’m prepared to accept that I might fall off occasionally, and yes, this is down to lack of experience, but it’s all part of the learning process.

This is bollox and it bugs me every time I hear/read it! There is nothing big or clever about crashing off your bike and doing so is a failure, period!
......and I do try damn hard!
I’ve included learning how to crash in mtb courses, plus got riders to ride corners as fast as they can to learn the limits of grip on different terrains. I’m pretty sure we all learned to ride a bike by falling off a few times.
Crashing is pretty normal in mtbing IF you’re really attempting to be damn good at it.

Mvm1

I've always been a roadie, apart from occasionally dabbling in cyclocross, but lately I've been hankering after doing a spot of proper offroading. After 45 years on this planet, it's about time I extended my cycling horizons.

So, I was very pleased to get the opportunity to borrow a Saracen Kili Flyer - alloy frame, full suspension, 27.5in wheels, dropper post. I wouldn't know what to look for in an MTB but I've been told this is one is decent enough for riding cross-country trails.

Took it up to the local woods yesterday afternoon for a quick blast round the trails. What fun!

Riding with full suspension for the first time was really strange - hitting ditches at speed that I would normally expect to throw me off the bike but just bouncing through them is something I'll need to get used to. Cornering is weird too - the short stem and wide bars seem to let you wrench the bike hard round stupidly tight bends with relative ease. I didn't come anywhere close to testing the limits of the tyres' grip, but I did manage to drift the rear wheel a couple of times (not entirely deliberately), which was satisfying.

Only fell off three times - mostly through lack of confidence in the bike's ability to deal with the terrain in a few heavily rutted sections. I can see that more experience and getting used to how the bike handles will make a big difference.

The ground was mostly dry but I managed to find a few mud patches - including one patch that was ankle-deep and stopped me dead. I had to get off and walk through it. Got home absolutely filthy, which was also quite satisfying.

Overall, I only covered 8km but it was a real workout. Planning to go out tomorrow for a longer ride.

I think I'm already a convert to MTB! Might need to see if I can negotiate holding onto this bike for a while... or start saving up to buy one.

What a great post! Personally I started as mtb and ended up as roady (since mtb also depends on the road)... I would suggest to start doing some upper workouts for the forearms also strengthen your wrists and finally the lower back. This is just so you could handle longer rides on the mtb without being uncomfortable.

I hope you enjoy the mountainbike to the maximum, besides... You will find out some awesome landscapes the road does not show. It's nice that people practice both disciplines since you learn different things from each and well my best wishes on your rides!

Greetings.

Kajjal

Guru
One thing to watch for if you are looking to become a bronzed Adonis of mountain biking is the older you get the less keen your body is to take a pounding off road on more testing trails. A fully rigid mountain bike on anything but fairly flat trails rapidly becomes an instrument of torture. Front or full suspension mean you can enjoy the ride more for longer and also go a lot faster :bicycle:

Top Bottom