My first MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I've always been a roadie, apart from occasionally dabbling in cyclocross, but lately I've been hankering after doing a spot of proper offroading. After 45 years on this planet, it's about time I extended my cycling horizons.

So, I was very pleased to get the opportunity to borrow a Saracen Kili Flyer - alloy frame, full suspension, 27.5in wheels, dropper post. I wouldn't know what to look for in an MTB but I've been told this is one is decent enough for riding cross-country trails.

Took it up to the local woods yesterday afternoon for a quick blast round the trails. What fun!

Riding with full suspension for the first time was really strange - hitting ditches at speed that I would normally expect to throw me off the bike but just bouncing through them is something I'll need to get used to. Cornering is weird too - the short stem and wide bars seem to let you wrench the bike hard round stupidly tight bends with relative ease. I didn't come anywhere close to testing the limits of the tyres' grip, but I did manage to drift the rear wheel a couple of times (not entirely deliberately), which was satisfying.

Only fell off three times - mostly through lack of confidence in the bike's ability to deal with the terrain in a few heavily rutted sections. I can see that more experience and getting used to how the bike handles will make a big difference.

The ground was mostly dry but I managed to find a few mud patches - including one patch that was ankle-deep and stopped me dead. I had to get off and walk through it. Got home absolutely filthy, which was also quite satisfying.

Overall, I only covered 8km but it was a real workout. Planning to go out tomorrow for a longer ride.

I think I'm already a convert to MTB! Might need to see if I can negotiate holding onto this bike for a while... or start saving up to buy one.

Last edited:

Kajjal

Guru
I do mountain biking when it is drier and road biking in the colder months. Very different to road biking and also great fun. Worth looking for local bridle ways and byways to ride on, google maps satellite view gives you an idea how rideable they are. Also trail centres and bike parks can be good as well with plenty of parking and a cafe :bicycle:

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I do mountain biking when it is drier and road biking in the colder months. Very different to road biking and also great fun. Worth looking for local bridle ways and byways to ride on, google maps satellite view gives you an idea how rideable they are. Also trail centres and bike parks can be good as well with plenty of parking and a cafe :bicycle:

The trail through my local woods is good. I can see evidence that it is well used though I've only ever encountered bikes on it a couple of times while walking the dog. It's not hilly but it's quite twisty.

There are plenty of local trails to explore. I'm going to have fun discovering them.

Didn't manage to get out today, alas - too busy, dammit.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
went offroad on the back of this thread today. Was ace.

Attachments

• 20180520_151510.jpg
    20180520_151510.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 65

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Quickedge Road?
you following me?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Used to do a lot of mtbing, good for learning handling skills, Only get out on the mtb a couple of times a year now, then it's with the grandchildren, some of the guys in the club get together quite often, We are lucky to have lots of woods and forest's around us, we ride through Epping forest most weekend, High Beech is full of them, there are also a lot of pubs in the forest so plenty of time for a break, as it can be hard.

Kajjal

Guru
Also check out the full rides of other people doing the same off road segments as you. The faster people tend to do longer rides giving you a few ideas of trails to try.

Top Bottom