My first MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
I'll generally clean and relub the chain after every ride, spray GT85 into the hinges of the mechs, scrape off all the mud with a stick, etc. Problem is you caked again 10mins into the next ride, mud strips all the lube from the chain and starts getting everywhere again and then your riding around with it grinding everything down.
I can't help thinking you've been a bit unlucky. Maybe try a different kind of lube that might hold up better? I just use cheap TF2 cycle oil myself.

Admittedly not all my rides are muddy, but since I last replaced my chain (after breaking the old one in a clumsy encounter with the ground), I've done about 550 miles on the MTB with no problems and everything is still working smoothly.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
generally, stand up, pedals level and stick your butt back will get you through most terrain...

I've found the throwing your weight backwards thing comes quite instinctively. And I've quickly learned the benefits of dropper seatposts - getting a saddle rammed up your backside is no fun!

You'll be jumping down stairs in your local town centre next you hooligan

I was doing that aged 11 on my BMX. Not sure I dare risk my ageing bones on such larks these days.

I was doing that aged 11 on my BMX. Not sure I dare risk my ageing bones on such larks these days.

I nearly cleared these steps (the set to the right of the trees) clipping the last one or two at the bottom, never tried to completely clear them after though. It's about 6ft in height.

hertfordstnorth2005.jpg

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Went out again today. Took the GoPro. Unfortunately it seems to have stopped working mid-ride so I can’t share with you the clip of me misjudging the gap between a pair of trees, catching the end of my bars and ending up sprawled on the ground... ^_^

Levo-Lon

Guru
Went out again today. Took the GoPro. Unfortunately it seems to have stopped working mid-ride so I can’t share with you the clip of me misjudging the gap between a pair of trees, catching the end of my bars and ending up sprawled on the ground... ^_^

Good fun, lol i dont mean to laugh honest, its such a great way to get the stress of life of ya back!!

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
No harm done, luckily - I was straight back up and on the bike (after stopping for a second to check the bars were still straight).

It's such good fun, and a real workout - I'm knackered now.

Last edited:
if you don't stack it, you're not trying hard enough.

I had to have a fellow biker pull me out of a very spikey tree in grizedale once, I'd gone too quick into a corner and left the trail and was still on the bike.

took a while for the chap to stop laughing before grabbing my seat post and pulling me backwards out of it.

mustang1

Guru
The thing I love about MTB is that it's purely recreational. There is no need to get anywhere, whether it's a commute to work or a road workout. You see, with MTB, you can ride a trail and if you pass a certain obstacle, you just loop around and have a go at the obstacle. There is no where else to be .

Its also a lot quieter, no stupid wind and tyre roar coming from cars.

I don't ride my MTB much but when I do, its fun every single time. On the road bike, the rises are always good, but sometimes there are caveats .

Oh yeah, and bottom of the range hydraulic brakes kick top of the range road bike brakes.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

On one of the last trails in the loop at Bedgebury there is a ramp between two trees (some will know it) which are pretty close together. I always took it on my Forme but the Whyte has 76cm wide bars and after taking it a few times is a bit closer for comfort.

Alan O

Über Member
The thing I love about MTB is that it's purely recreational. There is no need to get anywhere, whether it's a commute to work or a road workout. You see, with MTB, you can ride a trail and if you pass a certain obstacle, you just loop around and have a go at the obstacle. There is no where else to be .

Its also a lot quieter, no stupid wind and tyre roar coming from cars.

I don't ride my MTB much but when I do, its fun every single time. On the road bike, the rises are always good, but sometimes there are caveats .

Oh yeah, and bottom of the range hydraulic brakes kick top of the range road bike brakes.
That's pretty much my exact thinking too.

I've now got three different sets of tyres for my MTB which cover conditions from the bone dry hard surfaces we've got now almost all the way to swamp, and that means it's just great fun any time of year.

Top Bottom