My idea for 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I used to ride regularly over the Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Northamptonshire borders, all within about five miles.

snorri

Legendary Member
Scotland would mean a lot of island hopping.
Just three return ferry crossings required!
This project becomes more complex by the minute as many of the old county names and boundaries held dear by local people are no longer part of the present administrative set-ups, the boundaries may not even be marked as they once were.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
As a lad I lived in Wallasey, Cheshire. They changed the boundaries and we became Wallasey, Merseyside.
Till the day she died my Mother refused to accept that and always addressed letters as Wallasey, Cheshire :smile:.
The Westmoreland Gazette are still digging their heels in after almost 50 years.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I may be wrong but I think Dunsop Bridge in Lancashire was once in the West Riding of Yorkshire as there are boundary stones by the road with WR on them.

Is there anywhere you can touch four counties in a short time?

Brains

Legendary Member
I may be wrong but I think Dunsop Bridge in Lancashire was once in the West Riding of Yorkshire as there are boundary stones by the road with WR on them.

Is there anywhere you can touch four counties in a short time?

Kent, Surrey, East Sussex, West Sussex.
or
Huntington, Cambridge, Norfolk, Suffolk

I recon over a weekend, you could get in about 10 between Notts and Essex

Sharky

Guru
The Westmoreland Gazette are still digging their heels in after almost 50 years.
Brings back memories. My Dad loved the Lakes and often took us to Skelwith Bridge. There on the bridge, you could stand on the border of Westmorland and Lancashire, with a foot in each county,

You should be able to cover Hambleton, Redcar and Cleveland and Stockton on Tees in a day, granted all of in North Yorkshire but different councils and different terriain, Start at the coast at Whitby, cycle in land to Danby and then through to Guisbrough before going through to stokelsey and then onto Middlesbrough where you can get the train back to Whitby or stop overnight and then cycle through osmotherly and Northallerton and onto York.

MontyVeda

Brings back memories. My Dad loved the Lakes and often took us to Skelwith Bridge. There on the bridge, you could stand on the border of Westmorland and Lancashire, with a foot in each county,
wouldn't that have been Cumberland and Lancashire?

edit... no, you're right :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think you have misunderstood the challenge. It’s to cycle in each county. Not necessarily to cycle between them. I see it as an interesting weekend activity using my motor home as a base. I can use the train a bit too.
Ok. I thought you were going to do them all in one ride.

Even so. Its still a big challenge.

MontyVeda

We'll have to challenge @SpokeyDokey to ride over to Skelwith and take a picture of the bridge. I'm sure it was engraved with the two county names and the border line. Haven't been there for a good many years. It would be nice to know that the names have survived on the bridge.
looking on Google, there is a slate plaque in the middle of the bridge, but only stating 'Skelwith Bridge'... I guess this is where the engraving once was :sad:

MontyVeda

Ok. I thought you were going to do them all in one ride.

Even so. Its still a big challenge.
Loads of little loops like this would be fun to work out and ride...
3 counties loop.fw.png

...that's Lancashire, Cumbria and North Yorkshire sorted :smile:

Top Bottom