My laptop has frozen......how can I switch it off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
OK. Its a Toshiba laptop.
I use a cordless mouse.
The mouse stopped working the cursor.
I took the'plug in' gizmo out and used my finger on the pad. This worked for a moment then it froze again. And again.
I managed to get out of what I was on by pressing "control, alt, delete"......but.....
How do I close it down when the cursor is frozen ??
NB......I have tried the big button that I use to activate it but although it seemed to work the button keeps blinking/flashing every 10? seconds so its not fully off.
Thanks
BTW........ any ideas how to get the cursor working again ?

Last edited:

Lozz360

Veteran
Have you tried switching the mouse on and off? It works for me when the cursor freezes.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
OK. Its a Toshiba laptop.
I use a cordless mouse.
The mouse stopped working the cursor.
I took the'plug in' gizmo out and used my finger on the pad. This worked for a moment then it froze again. And again.
I managed to get out of what I was on by pressing "control, alt, delete"......but.....
How do I close it down when the cursor is frozen ??
NB......I have tried the big button that I use to activate it but although it seemed to work the button keeps blinking/flashing every 10? seconds so its not fully off.
Thanks
Press and hold the power button (for anything up to 30 seconds) and it should power doen completely.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Press and hold the power button (for anything up to 30 seconds) and it should power doen completely.
Will try that.
I did it for 10 seconds with no success.
BTW...... any ideas how to get the cursor working again (I will edit my post to ask that)

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Have you tried switching the mouse on and off? It works for me when the cursor freezes.
Does the mouse have an on/off ?? There is a little black button which I can press but it doesn't say on/off.......I have no idea what it does.
Ohh.... the mouse seems to have died.
I will try a new battery.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Right. Tried that and it is now switched off.
Next I need to get the cursor working :wacko:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Does the mouse have an on/off ?? There is a little black button which I can press but it doesn't say on/off.......I have no idea what it does.
Ohh.... the mouse seems to have died.
I will try a new battery.
If you take the battery out the mouse will effectively be switched off.

Another vote for holding the power button down - hold it down until the laptop switches off, it will.

If all else fails the nuclear option is to remove the laptop battery. On some laptops this is easy.........

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
It should be a tiny slider switch. But if you have changed the mouse battery, you have effectively done the same thing. Does the cursor work now?
I will have to switch the laptop back on and try again.
I will report back.

Top Bottom