My Name is Arch, and I'm...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
... a knittaholic.

Seriously, I think I need help. Or to open a shop. I've finished all the stuff I was doing as Christmas gifts for the family, so I don't have a project 'on the go'. I got home yesterday at 5.30, with an hour to spare before I needed to go out to meet some friends. Cup of tea made, telly on, sitting at the table, thinking "I haven't got anything to knit.... I need something to knit..." So I got my Noah's Ark pattern out, because it has lots of little bits to do, and started a toucan. Only I decided to be more wintry, and made it into a penguin (more white belly, less beak). Didn't quite finish it in the hour, but nearly.

If I'd remembered the damn camera lead, I could show you all a pic...

Is there hope for me? You think you can handle it, give it up any time, but then you think, "just one more pair of gloves, what's the harm...."

(BTW, I hope this doesn't offend anyone with real addiction issues, I certainly don't mean to. I just wanted to tell my story...)

stop knit-picking at yourself, you knit-wit, you!

Landslide

Rare Migrant
If I had a ball of Kidsilk Evil for every time I heard "I can give it up any time I want" my yarn stash would be bigger than my bike stash!

I shouldn't worry too much. As addictions go it's pretty harmless. The only risk is dying of overheating when you try to wear all of the 8,000 hats, scarves and gloves you've knocked up in your lunch break.

What was the kids TV programme where the woman would knit everything needed by anyone?

Anyway, Arch, I've always got a project for you, I need a jumper knitting with the words Edlin Tyres written across the front - similar to the old Dunlop ones. When can I collect it?:?:

Canrider

Guru

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Canrider said:

I can't hear the clip just now, no headphones, but I love the lyrics! Gonna save them!

Doctor:

dalek1.jpg

Rog, send me a photo of the thing you want it to look like, and your dimensions (chest is probably most helpful) and I'll see what I can do.. Sweaters take a bit longer than the average scarf though... And I might have to ask you to stump up for the wool...

Mickle, black, possibly with discreet company trim it is....

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Canrider said:
If we get you some very, very fine needles, could you compete on price with Rapha?

I doubt it.... Thing is, if I factor in the year's worth of handknitting required to produce something so fine, I'd have to look at charging about £10,000....

Seriously, that's the limitation with trying to sell anything like handknits. You have to have the skill and balls to charge a going rate for labour time... I can just about do a pair of gloves in 8 hours maybe? £40+ at minimum wage, without the wool cost. Also, RSI starts to set in, and my eyes start to go funny...

NickM

Veteran
Hilldodger said:
What was the kids TV programme where the woman would knit everything needed by anyone?
Noah and Nelly.

I liked it. Mind you, I reckon the writers were on drugs:

"The recent weather has not been good. The wind is continually blowing the SkylArk backwards and forwards. Nutty Noah likes this but Nelly is not impressed and wants it to stop. Nutty Noah with the help of Cyril decide to go somewhere on the map.

"All aboard the SkylArk, all aboard the SkylArk".

Off goes the SkylArk and soon arrives at a most peculiar place. The land around them is littered with strange 'C' shaped objects. The SkylArk crew soon find out that the 'C's are in fact broken handles from Toby Jugs. An earthquake broke them all off and the jugs are most upset as they cannot party without handles. Nelly gets down to business and uses the SkylArk sail to make knitted handles for the miserable Toby Jugs. She saves the day and much fun is had by all."

Arch, what is your stance on knitting machines?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'd like to help with your lack-of-things to knit problem by asking you to knit me something.

But my mrs knits, and she might be jealous. Is it being unfaithful if you just ask for knitted goods?

Top Bottom