My Name is Arch, and I'm...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
I want to order something for my tiddler, I'll ask her what she wants when she gets back from nursery in an hour and PM you. Happy to pay the market rate.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
domtyler said:
I want to order something for my tiddler

Oo er!

I'll ask her what she wants when she gets back from nursery in an hour...

Oh. Ah.

:?:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm sure the elephants in Stockholm zoo would be grateful for willy-warmers at this time of year.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
NickM said:
[

Arch, what is your stance on knitting machines?

I've never used one, so I don't really know. I sort of think, you can buy machine knits in the shops so cheaply, so I wouldn't bother, and anyway, I mostly like doing little fiddly things, rather than sweaters and all that. Somehow a machine doesn't seem to be quite so skillful - perhaps they do allow you to work more on the design aspect than the actual skill of knitting.

Uncle Phil. Why not ask for something for Mrs Uncle Phil, as a surprise? A knitted fiddle maybe? (Oh, god, I've done it now, haven't I....)

Dom, only too happy to oblige, although I'm a bit bogged down with Christmas now and off to my sister's on Saturday - if it's ok if I crack on with it after Chrimbo... Almost any animal...

<thinks> I hope... One day someone really will stump me.... </thinks>

In fact, I'll have a crack at almost anything. Someone challenged me to do a model of York Minster, and I keep thinking about how I'd do it... A nice oatmeal coloured yarn, and cabling for the carved decoration and arches and things... There is no market rate - I've asked previous recipients to give what they think is a suitable donation to Oxfam, or charity of their choice.

Now, that reminds me, I'm hoping to get some nice sock yarn in the internal mail. Better just go and check....

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hooray! Got it. Very nice, self patterning blue, cream and beige. Just need to get some 2.5mm double ended needles and it's socks ahoy! I may start them on the train - nothing like double ended needles moving at high speed for keeping crowds at bay!

ChrisKH

Guru
I had an aunt who couldn't stop knitting. If she turned up to visit she would sit there drinking tea, talk to you non-stop and knit. I don't know how she did it. We used to get an arran cardigan or pullover every christmas.

On my wife's side, her aunt was a compulsive knitter. Eventually she started importing knitting machines from the UK to Luxembourg to sell on and made a fortune. Where there's wool, there's wealth.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My mum used to knit so fast that smoke issued from the ends of her needles! I had an endless supply of arran cardies as a kid :thumbsup::biggrin::biggrin:, and when I was 22 I got her to make me one for old times' sake, and the ironic factor (think Haircut 100 for a pop reference; I wasn't into the band, youunderstand, but I did like the jumpers). I kept it for years, but Mrs Fnaar forbade me from wearing it in public.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My Gran knitted the full set of Toad, Ratty, Mole and Badger for my sister. Gran was a good knitter but I remember even she complained about the difficulty of that particular job.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think I've got the gene from my Gran, we got endless supplies of school jumpers (sooooo uncool, when everyone else has shop bought ones), gloves and bedsocks. She was still knitting well into her eighties, when she started to have trouble following the patterns.

I took it up after my bereavement this year, as did Tom's Mum, and we've both become compulsive. Whenever she and I talk, or email, we turn to knitting as a common bond. I've seen it said that it's a little bit like a sort of mantra - a series of repetitive movements that you can half switch off from. And it produces something tangible and useful (or a dalek!) at the end.

I bought her a book of lovely patterns for squares (to make up into blankets or throws, but also great for ideas for garment patterns), for Christmas, it was the only copy in Borders and it was a real wrench to send it away, I wanted it for myself!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rigid Raider said:
My Gran knitted the full set of Toad, Ratty, Mole and Badger for my sister. Gran was a good knitter but I remember even she complained about the difficulty of that particular job.

Oh my! And Wind in the Willows my favourite book as well!

<stash it in the ideas pile>

Top Bottom