My New Lawn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some people have this.

I prefer this:

icowden

Veteran
Time spent mowing lawns or trimming hedges is time wasted.
I agree with the first but not the second. Some evergreen hedges will just grow taller and wider and eventually take over your house. They have to be kept in check.

I agree with the first but not the second. Some evergreen hedges will just grow taller and wider and eventually take over your house. They have to be kept in check.

There's way around that...don't have evergreen hedges.

There used to be a good treatment to reduce the time spent mowing or trimming. It was called Cutlass and you sprayed it on after the first cut of the growing season and it only needed cutting once more during the year, but was banned because of its toxic qualities/damage to the environment. I still have some in the shed and no longer use it, but don't like the idea of tipping it down the drain.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
That didn't come out too bad at all Jowwers. Gives me hope for when I tackle mine.
Its looking good to be fair after only 4.5wks…….we got rain for a few days now, so just seeded some of the patchy areas, so that can germinate while its wet and warm.

Thats all my projects for the year done now…..will leave the hot tub pergola and the shed rebuild til late autumn or next spring now.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Well I chuntered on about people's desire to control nature and inability to understand the needs of wildlife.

My neighbour's hedge bottom
View attachment 597467

My hedge bottom
View attachment 597469

My allotment, part of it, full of colour and grass full of food for pollinators. Then there's the garden lawn!

View attachment 597471

View attachment 597472

View attachment 597473
Give me that lawn everytime over the allotment garden…..sorry mate, but its more aesthetically pleasing to. Maybe its the ex golfer in me, thats used to immaculately kept greens and fairways

winjim

Smash the cistern
My BIL has put plastic grass down in his back garden - most of it's decked or stone. Main reason was it didn't drain terribly well and the Labrador would get muddy feet and bring it in the house. I will see how it goes as no doubt the dog will pee on the plastic grass and I believe it stinks after a while - I didn't have the heart to tell him.

@jowwy, you've let the team down having plastic grass in the front ! :wacko:
Our childminder has it in the back garden and it works really well when you've got half a dozen kids causing havoc on it every day. It's on a raised deck with a hidden sandpit under a trap door. It's nicer than just having decking.

yello

But it already has weeds growing in it. It seems to be an impossible job to keep it weed free.
Yep, tell me about it. We've had a lot of stuff blown in and take root. We've provided a nice, rich bed for weeds. I've spent a lot of time (over several weeks) just pulling weeds and it's staring to look like decent lawn now.

I did another patch last autumn and I don't remember it being anywhere as bad so I might in future only sew lawn in autumn.

Looks really good @jowwy I'd be pleased with that.

Our dog (female) has caused dead patches on the lawn with her pee but it grows back.

Our childminder has it in the back garden and it works really well when you've got half a dozen kids causing havoc on it every day. It's on a raised deck with a hidden sandpit under a trap door. It's nicer than just having decking.
I've just fitted artificial grass onto the small back garden of my sister's terrace house. She loves it as she just wants somewhere to sit outside on without wasting time and effort unnecessarily. Flowers and shrubs are in tubs rather than in the ground.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Yep, tell me about it. We've had a lot of stuff blown in and take root. We've provided a nice, rich bed for weeds. I've spent a lot of time (over several weeks) just pulling weeds and it's staring to look like decent lawn now.

I did another patch last autumn and I don't remember it being anywhere as bad so I might in future only sew lawn in autumn.

Looks really good @jowwy I'd be pleased with that.

Our dog (female) has caused dead patches on the lawn with her pee but it grows back.
Yup im pretty stoked with how its turned out….i just seeded the patches before the weekend and with warm rain falling, those patches will be filled out in no time at all

Hicky

Guru
@jowwy did you tiller the whole area to get a fine soil consistency ?
I’m thinking of getting rid of a stoned area and turfing it. It’s been compacted for years so quite solid.

Top Bottom