My new to me GT Avalanche 1.0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Savo

Should I order one of these seeing as its available & will probably need it in the future?

Andrew

glad your LBS checked the frame as that rear mech is bolted on where a removable hanger to take standard mech,s should be ?

Hangers are frame specific and widely available as they are a frame saver designed to break.

typical avalanche rear derailleur hanger
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item19c2690a555

frame geometry is designed around a 100mm travel fork , ( I run adj air forks up to 130 , keeps me out of trouble.)

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Check to see if the LBS is going to include one of those in the price of the job. If he has one laying around it will cost him pennies to put it on for you :smile:

Should I order one of these seeing as its available & will probably need it in the future?

Andrew

billflat12

Veteran

Andrew

usually have to wait if ordered from GT dealers, it,s a popular model though as it also fits the legendary zasker , "which the avalanche was based on", I usually carry spare hanger in a puncture kit for my style of riding as it can save a long walk ,

Doris

I agree with Billflat12, things can always look like a bargain untill you add up the cost of the replacement parts. On the positive side the GT's were good frames. The only way round this is to hunt on ebay for parts. I'd invest in an ebay fork, thing is most 100mm forks are pretty cheap on ebay as everyone is trying to get 140/150mm bolt thro forks- don't forget you will need forks with lugs for your 'V' brakes. Go for a good old fashioned spring and oil fork with lock out somethign like an MX Pro- will go on for years. As long as your drive train is OK 'ish and running you should'nt have to fork (s'cues the pun) out too much. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

OP
OP
S

Savo

somethign like an MX Pro- will go on for years. As long as your drive train is OK 'ish and running you should'nt have to fork (s'cues the pun) out too much. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Hmm problem is I'm a complete novice, just spent the last 10 mins trying to look up those forks. I think the forks are going to be the first things changed so any advice would be appreciated. My lbs says they can supply new wheels for about £100 and then £30 to swap over the gears but I'm unsure about weather or not to wait longer and replace the gears, wheels & crank at some point in the future.

OP
OP
S

Savo

Thanks! I was out on enjoying the bike in the rain last night and they were sold by the time I checked the forum
blush.gif
I will look for another pair though I am a bit baffled at the moment & worried I might buy the wrong thing.

rockshox tora,s are also a good budget fork, some have disc mounts & removable vbrake mounts , the u-turn models are adjustable 80-130mm and can sell for 60-80 s/h on ebay. but make sure any steerer tubes are not cut too short , avalanche has a zero stack semi intergrated headset so may get lucky looking at a shorter steerer than most.
see:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item2eb5e649b8

OP
OP
S

Savo

Ok so now I know I'm being a pain but... Should I upgrade to disc brake at the same time as changing the forks? I know I am spending too much time on ebay now
biggrin.gif

Thanks

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Are the brakes causing you problems? If yes upgrade. If no don't.
Ok so now I know I'm being a pain but... Should I upgrade to disc brake at the same time as changing the forks? I know I am spending too much time on ebay now
biggrin.gif

Thanks

OP
OP
S

Savo

Right peed off I missed those, I was staying with relatives last night & only read this just now :-( Need cheered up, got home and there was a letter for me to attand Belfast hematology clinic on Friday :-( Its just a 3 monthly checkup but I hate it.

spotted some mx comp here
http://www.singletra...great-condition
disc brakes are ideal if your wheel rims get clogged with mud but not really essential for road or dry off road. those levers do look a bit grim though ? shimano do some excellent basic inexpensive integrated levers for cable brakes, with modern trigger shifters that are easier to use .

OP
OP
S

Savo

Right so I bought some bits -

A disc compatable front wheel Alex FD16 - He is throwing in a used tyre free.

Hayes sole disc brakes F&R including three rotors and bolts. These need bleeding, and both need the little master cylinder plug which are £1.99 from CRC £25 posted
(ordereded a pack of 8)

This hopefully means I can order a wider selection of forks. Hopefully I haven't done anything silly & this stuff will fit??

Andrew

OP
OP
S

Savo

|'m sorry for constantly asking questions but I have found a set of Tora 302 coil uturn forks I'd like to buy but the steering tube is cut to 210 mm, would they fit? I have measured the bike & it seems a bit close. On another note, my daughter & I had a great day out on the bikes along the coast :-) just 5 miles but really good.

OP
OP
S

Savo

Thanks the seller emailed me that they will fit so I bought them. Can't wait to get the new bits fitted... All I need now is a new back wheel :-)

If by close you mean shorter then it's a no go unless you can take out a spacer but if slightly longer you are fine as you can cut the stem down.

Top Bottom