My new to me GT Avalanche 1.0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Savo

Well the saga continues, after buying all the bits I decided it would be best for the bike to be put together properly rather than mess it up myself so I left it into the local bike shop a week and a half ago. They phoned me this morning to tell me the frame is too big for me & that i'd be crazy to spend the money on getting it built up & that the stuff is too good for the frame. So I now I feel pretty stupid. The frame is large and I'm only 5'8, but I do like riding the bike & it felt fine to me. Now I'm going to have to buy a smaller frame that the forks will still fit :-/ & I have spent a FORTUNE! so far new brakes, forks, wheels, gears & levers, chain, crank, pedals.. Crazy stupid.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Well the saga continues, after buying all the bits I decided it would be best for the bike to be put together properly rather than mess it up myself so I left it into the local bike shop a week and a half ago. They phoned me this morning to tell me the frame is too big for me & that i'd be crazy to spend the money on getting it built up & that the stuff is too good for the frame. So I now I feel pretty stupid. The frame is large and I'm only 5'8, but I do like riding the bike & it felt fine to me. Now I'm going to have to buy a smaller frame that the forks will still fit :-/ & I have spent a FORTUNE! so far new brakes, forks, wheels, gears & levers, chain, crank, pedals.. Crazy stupid.

WTF. Take the stuff back and built it yourself mate. If you like the frame size that is all that matters in the end!

smithy92

Frame size is a personal choice, if your LBS wont do it then it sounds like they just can't be bothered.

It's your bike at the end of the day so i'd find a different shop or do it yourself!

Get the bike back, and rebuilt it yourself, for a few pound more you can buy a book which will explain how to repair and or rebuild Bicycles.
Its a lot easier than you think, and it will make you better able to carry out quite major roadside repairs if need be.

billflat12

Veteran
I personally prefer bikes with a slightly bigger frame simply because i,m long in the torso, do have short legs & the odd issue with stand over height though. (where not all mr average !!). Can LBS offer a better & cheaper alternative taking into account labour costs etc ? again if you are comfortable with the size frame just ask for a quote elsewhere or consider doing the rebuild yourself. ( pm me your email an i,ll send you an invite to a torrent source for a bike building manual )

Top Bottom