My old Raleigh has been returned to me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bariton

The family have been highly amused by the fact that grandad has taken up cycling again after all these years; all this talk of long distance challenges and buying a new road bike. I was telling my daughter in law about the 81 mile Bay Cycleway challenge when she told me that there was a bike in the back of her garage that used to belong to me, I had given it to my son to ride to college many years ago.

So after the shifting of lawn mowers and spare chairs for christmas and some very large spiders, the blue Raleigh Triathlon Criterium 12 has been returned to it's first owner. My memory of this is that it was like sitting on a razor blade. I'm wondering if this would make a good winter project? After 30+ years it probably needs bearings, cables and chain etc. Maybe some fatter tyres than the 700 x 20 would make for a more forgiving ride.

The question to myself is, would this be worth spending a few bob on, or am I better off putting the money into a new modern bike?

20160926_152356_zps8td5fxgs.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Re-greasing the wheels, new chain, new tyres - which these days are likely to be 23mm or 25mm rather than 20, etc.

It's absolutely worth doing but the question is 'do you want to?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Personally, I'd do a light restoration on it. After 20 years, I'd fit new tyres, tubes and cables, for sure. If the wheels are OK, then keep them, but be prepared to change the chain, and maybe freewheel and chainrings if they're worn.
Brakes. If they're single pivot, then fitting a dual pivot on the front will transform the braking. The back I'd leave as is, since back brakes don't do much anyway. Good clean and polish, and it should be ready to go. Is it a 531 or 501 frame? I can make out part of the Reynolds sticker...

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
make sure seat post and handlebar stem are both free to move and adjust ok , if they are new grease , tyres , tubes & cables and a quick polish and off you go ...........simples

steve50

Disenchanted Member
What a lovely old bike and you have fond memories to go with it, It will restore with very little work and won't cost very much to do and put back on the road.As dclane says, some 25mm tyres will make a world of difference to the ride coupled with a modern saddle. I have recently acquired a 25 year old Raleigh and spent a little money on it bringing it up to a (modern) usable standard (V brakes,saddle, new freewheel and cables) and it is a lovely ride.

OP
OP
Bariton

Bariton

To be honest, I cant believe how good a condition it's in. Everything works, nothing seized, even the tyres have blown up. There is some light rust on the steel bolt heads. Usually if I give something to my son it gets trashed, but he admits he never did ride it because it was uncomfortable.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice :becool:

I'd go with @biggs682 's advice and check the seatpost/stem will come out. As long as they do I'd give em a good smear of Vaseline before refitting them (IMO the best thing to use in that application)
A good strip down and polish/regrease and new inner cables, tyres 'n' tubes (25 or 28s) should see you set for many miles on a lovely bike. :bicycle:
Oh and as for saddles I'd want a B17 or B17n (narrow)

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Really? A modern saddle? If that really is an old razor blade on there, it looks like it's begging for a classic comfy shape like a Brev.M Sellino or a Selle Royal Contour.
Even a Selle Royal Contour bought new is modern, I meant as in new rather than some modern day racing saddle, there are a great many "classic" looking saddles out there that can be bought new for little money.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom