My pedal broke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PrettyboyTim

My pedal broke when I was almost at work today. The main body of the thing is plastic and it cracked.

I'm assuming it will be fairly straightforward to purchase some new pedals and the appropriate wrench at the bike shop and change them over at lunchtime?

I know the whole thing about the LH pedal having a reverse thread; is there anything else that I should look out for?

walker

you should be able to get a free replacement from the manufacturer depending on the age of it

yenrod

PrettyboyTim said:
My pedal broke when I was almost at work today. The main body of the thing is plastic and it cracked.

I'm assuming it will be fairly straightforward to purchase some new pedals and the appropriate wrench at the bike shop and change them over at lunchtime?

I know the whole thing about the LH pedal having a reverse thread; is there anything else that I should look out for?

Its those big legs of your innit Tim ! :biggrin:

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

I did think about clipless, but I don't think it would be a good time to try it with all the wind about. Can you get SPD pedals that can double as flats? (Although if I got them I would have to do without toeclips for a bit...)

As for getting a new set from the manufacturer, I can't really wait that long as I don't really want to be riding around with a broken pedal.

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

Oh, and the other thing about clipless is that it seems to be quite difficult to get shoes in my size (48) and I also need quite wide shoes so I think getting some that fit might be quite a challenge.

walker

PrettyboyTim said:
Oh, and the other thing about clipless is that it seems to be quite difficult to get shoes in my size (48) and I also need quite wide shoes so I think getting some that fit might be quite a challenge.

whats that in English Money?

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

FatFellaFromFelixstowe;212405][quote=PrettyboyTim said:

Yeah, I saw them - the nice thing is that I could even fit the toeclips until I found some cycling shoes that would fit - but once I had it'd be a shame that they only have clips on one side.

The Shimano M424s look nice in that they have clips on both sides that just push down if you use them with normal shoes, but I wouldn't be able to put the toeclips on for the time being and I'm not sure I like the plastic outside. There's also no way to be road legal with them as they have no reflector mounts.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
PrettyboyTim;212421][quote=FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Yeah, I saw them - the nice thing is that I could even fit the toeclips until I found some cycling shoes that would fit - but once I had it'd be a shame that they only have clips on one side.

The Shimano M424s look nice in that they have clips on both sides that just push down if you use them with normal shoes, but I wouldn't be able to put the toeclips on for the time being and I'm not sure I like the plastic outside. There's also no way to be road legal with them as they have no reflector mounts.

I would avoid those and any plastic based ones as the reports have never been that good. I don't believe many of the spd pedals have reflectors on the pedals but I get around this with some obscure regulation:-

Reflectors are indeed obligatory at night, on the front and rear of every pedal, on all types of pedal cycle used on public roads, except those older than October 1985 :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom