My quest for the perfect jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carolonabike

Since I returned to cycling and particularly since I began commuting 18 months ago I have been on a quest to find the perfect jacket. I don't want much, just something which will keep me warm but won't make me too hot, will keep me dry, won't be too thick and heavy .... or too thin. And, it has to look nice too, on and off the bike ^_^. As of Saturday I'm up to number 5 :blush: I always have high hopes but there's always something just not quite right.

I have an Altura Night Vision Evo which is lovely but I get too hot if the temperature goes above about 5deg. I have another lighterweight jacket but it has flappy sleeves which irritate me. I have a very lightweight shower proof jacket but it's no good if the weather turns a bit chilly. I have a full zip jersey which is a bit windproof and which was my current favorite until the weekend. On Saturday I bought a Nike Element jacket. It's actually a running jacket but it has a windproof front and sleeves a rear zip pocket (quite small) and is cut quite long so it doesn't ride up. It's not waterproof but it is water resistant. It's in a lovely raspberry colour (although other less shouty colours are also available) ^_^

I think this may be the one. For now anyway....

Is it just me? Arsen Gere cycles all year round in pretty much the same one (with a boil in the bag for emergencies) How many jackets do you all have?

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
Oh good. It ain't just me. I'm on 5 or 6 at the moment...

Some LIDL hi-viz that I really like but broke the zip.
A Polaris "shower-proof" Hi-viz.
A Red fleecy thing
A Black Fleecy thing
A boil in the bag waterproof jacket.

and I have another on the way from Wiggle as we speak.

amaferanga

Veteran
You won't find a jacket that works all the time. If its above about 5-10 degrees I go for baselayer + armwarmers + s/s jersey + windproof gilet (and bibshorts with legwarmers). Below 5 degrees and I'd wear a lighweight windproof jacket and baselayer. If it's actually raining then I'd wear a full on waterproof jacket, but even commuting and riding almost every day I really don't need it very often.

If you have a windproof jacket then with the right underlayers it should be good for most weather. The mistake many people make is being comfortably warm when they set off which inevitably means they quickly get too warm and sweat and then they get cold and think they need to wear more layers, when in fact they should be wearing less.

I prefer not to wear a jacket but I own a few :whistle:
Soft Shells-Giordana x3, Gore Phantom, Campagnolo, an Australian one & Endura Jet Stream (although that is classed a jersey),
I've lost count of the Aldi wind/ waterproof ones I've got but I've probably got at least 5+,
Montane featherlight velo (my jacket of choice),
Endura Biker Jacket, a great utility jacket (lots of pockets),
Endura Pac light (or whatever its called) my most waterproof jacket.

VamP

Banned
Don't wear jackets. I have a Pearl Izumi soft shell, which is quite wind resistant. I load up on base layers when the weather is cold. None of the waterproof fabrics are breathable enough for me, so I prefer to just get wet, if it's rainy.

OP
OP
carolonabike

carolonabike

Now that is a smart jacket, I'm now looking at the ladies version with a touch of jacket envy. Shame about the price tag though :eek:

OP
OP
carolonabike

carolonabike

Mmm, interesting. They appear to be channeling little red riding hood :laugh: Do you suppose the co ordinating dog and basket are included?

Unfortunately there's nowhere on my bike to fit a basket

jayonabike