My Raleigh Bike. The Start.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeymustard

Veteran
I have no experience of the other Brooks tapes but the leather tape I have had on and off my bike several times and I’m pleased with it, very hard wearing.
I agree, it's a lot of spuds upfront but it'll last years!
I bought some hand-cut leather tape off a guy on eBay a while back. He's run out now, I wish I'd bought a load when I had the chance. It wasn't as well finished as Brooks but I quite like its homespun looks. Also wish I'd asked him how he cut it now too, must've taken a steady hand!

carpenter

Über Member
Your mentioning "hand cut" reminded me about this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30mm-x-1...199628?hash=item2f28d040cc:g:rRQAAOSwyiFb4cvo

I found it just before I splashed out about £30 on some Brooks leather tape, is it similar to what you bought? I was worried about thinning the edges for a neat overlap with the hand cut leather, so didn't go ahead.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I have just fitted the 105 brake calipers to the bike, the front caliper has no washer between the caliper and and the frame should I put one in or not ?

mikeymustard

Veteran
Agree completely about keeping it brown.

Out of era but cloth tape would be another possibility:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-2-RO...h=item5691d53ba0:g:t5oAAOSwstJZPlyt:rk:1:pf:1
I can't search far back on my phone but I think that's the guy. He hasn't got the chestnut (nice reddish brown) that I put on my equilibrium though
full.jpg

Edit: sorry, wrong post quoted, I was still at work at the time

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I can't search far back on my phone but I think that's the guy. He hasn't got the chestnut (nice reddish brown) that I put on my equilibrium though View attachment 448520

Edit: sorry, wrong post quoted, I was still at work at the time

The brown tape is nice to look at.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Off the cuff question.
I have found nearly all my spanners don't fit the bike properly as they are all old sizes.. where can I get some proper old size spanners from?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
The leather in question looks like upholstery leather, just look around for someplace where an old couch is being thrown out. That's what I've done in the past. I've been known to hop out of the car with a carpet knife and skin the back of an old leather couch in about 30 seconds. I live in a university town, so around about the end of May I can choose color, pretty much.

mikeymustard

Veteran
The leather in question looks like upholstery leather, just look around for someplace where an old couch is being thrown out. That's what I've done in the past. I've been known to hop out of the car with a carpet knife and skin the back of an old leather couch in about 30 seconds. I live in a university town, so around about the end of May I can choose color, pretty much.
The 21st century hunter gatherer :smile:

Top Bottom