My review of Chain Reaction Cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
Never had any issues with CRC before - Although as zizou said, I'm not quite sure what is up with their choice of packaging! They once sent me 5 chain ring bolts in a box over 30x30cm, and a pair of gloves in two boxes (each big enough to take multiple pairs of gloves) taped together. :laugh:

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I have bought a fair few items froms CRC over the years and have always found them to be good till a slight problem with my last order just before christmas. I ordered a replacement SRAM cassette for my winter bike. Everything showed up as payment accepted, order processing etc.
I waited about a week and was starting to get a bit desperate as I had changed the chain and it was slipping in the middle range of gears, obviously due to wear. Firstly I emailed them, and then before I received a reply, I hunted a customer number down on the website, and called it.
Spoke to a helpful guy, he made a few inquries apoligised, said the system had a bit of a hicup, showing the item still processing. He promised the item would be hand picked and dispatched that day. It turned up a couple of days later, you have to bear in mind it comes from Northern Ireland.
I still have faith in CRC and would happily buy from them again, they must process thousands of orders weekly, and the odd thing which was sorted with a phone call isn't the end of the world.
I have noticed though as a couple of others have said there are better bargains to be had sometimes elsewhere if you are prepared to do a bit of trawling. Wiggle also are no longer as competitive as they once were in my opinion.
The other thing to consider is do the Evans price match with their list of suppliers, and in my case if I find it cheaper get Evans to price match it, and I have it delivered to the local store as I only work 5 minutes away from it. You don't have to worry about missing the postman and rearranging deliveries to your home address.

soulful dog

Veteran
I bought a couple of things from them recently and they were pretty helpful (though not always particularly quick to reply to emails). They refunded my postage costs when I returned a set of mudguards (and updated the description on the website to make the sizing clearer) despite me telling them not to bother.

CRC, Evans & Wiggle are the first three places I look at online.

Isn't the CRC warehouse computerized with robots? I seem to remember a vid that showed how it even built the boxes to save waste...explains why it thought a package labeled seatpost actually was one. They (or it!) Has always been great to me.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I was in such a blind rage, I wasn't even thinking straight!

In my defence though, I never took the item out of the bag it was in, and it was so bulky I just assumed it was a coat.

Anyway, its not as bad as mistaking a seatpost for a pair of trousers!
Most likely some mountain biker is down one pair of mtb baggies, that the wanted for the weekend, and has a shiny new seat seatpost they don't want....

172traindriver

Legendary Member
The points being made by a couple of you about the strange sized boxes is very interesting. I have bought a couple of small items recently and wondered why they didn't use something like a jiffy bag like Wiggle and most others do. Instead this quite fascinating (massively oversized for item) box arrives that is glued and constructed in the most fascinating fashion.
It makes sense, scarey thought!!! the machines are taking over!!!!

Earlier this month I bought a Garmin Edge 200 from CRC and the manufacturers packaging was about 6 inches square by 2 inches deep. CRC packed it into a box that must have been 1 foot by 9 inches by 7 inches deep. Why they put it in a box that big I don't know a large padded bag would have suficed.

OP
OP
Monkspeed

Monkspeed

Well, well, the saga continues.

I sent the wrong item back on the 26 Jan, sent them two emails, one on the 26 Jan and one on 30 Jan, stipulating that I do not want another item, I just want my money back.

Just today got an email from them telling me they received the item and are resending me the originally ordered item.

I am truely regretful for using Chain Reaction Cycles. What a total farce.
:banghead:

machew

Veteran
Earlier this month I bought a Garmin Edge 200 from CRC and the manufacturers packaging was about 6 inches square by 2 inches deep. CRC packed it into a box that must have been 1 foot by 9 inches by 7 inches deep. Why they put it in a box that big I don't know a large padded bag would have suficed.
The best one I had was 30 licenses from HP
Each License was in an A4 envelope
Each envelope was in a cardboard Box
10 of these boxes was in another Box
And the whole lot was in another box

Doug.

Veteran
Monkspeed.
Hard luck,I have been using C.R.C for four years and find them excellent.
Hope they "sort" you out.
Yours
Doug.
I agree with other contributors as to the ridiculously large boxes they send things in.

You may have seen the promo video they have released about how efficient their warehouse is and how quickly they get a vast number of goods out to customers...there may be other reasons why this is the case.

I recently received a brand new bike from them, which had untrue wheels, chipped paintwork, bent components and loose stem bolts amongst other problems. This a quote from their website about delivery:

• Bikes take a little bit longer as we want to ensure they arrive with you in perfect condition, and so will take the time to inspect them before delivery

My delivery was clearly far from perfect, and when I contacted them I was told it was only bikes of a higher value that were inspected (they said over £250 but I don't know whether this was a value they plucked from the air, as they do not seem concerned about misleading their customers - for information, it was a mountain bike that was the only one out of 400 under £250 as it was on sale). At no point in ordering, or upon delivery, did I receive anything to say that a new bike should be inspected by a professional bike mechanic, and this bike would have been dangerous to ride if it was not properly inspected.

The statement on their website does not seem to be an oversight as they thanked me for pointing out the misleading nature, but have not changed it having had plenty of time to do so.

Furthermore, their simple way of avoiding negative reviews on their website is not to post them!

I would severely question what other corners they cut, and what other misleading information they provide on their website (or don't provide, such as reviews!)

They may have lots of stock at seemingly good prices, but would you really want to trust your life (coming off a bike due to faulty set-up/damaged components certainly could be lethal if you reasonably believed your bike was inspected pre-delivery) in a company that is happy to mislead you into risking your life.

lulubel

Über Member
I've placed 2 orders with them so far.

My first order was shipped next working day, and arrived within 5 working days (normal for Spain).

I chased my second order when it was still showing processing after 4 working days, and was assured that it had been shipped, but the system hadn't updated yet. It's been 5 working days since the date they said they shipped it, and it hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully it will be here on Monday ....

YahudaMoon

Über Member
On-line shopping 3

LBS shopping 10

I've had it with online shopping, and as for Ebay I could write an essay on bad service. So bad I've closed the account. Lie's , cheats, counterfeit goods, extosionate prices, time, broken products when advertised as full working order, returns, possible stolen property, items don't turn up ! the list is endless with Ebay and some of the horrible people who sell on that auction site.

On-line shopping is so yesterday. They have you backed up against the wall once they have your cash and take full advantage of this fact in some cases

I still have a few online people I trust for bike products

That being St John St Cycles and the one in Harrgate Spa Cycles. Though as of recent the LBS are my first port of call. Though Im blessed with so many to choose from as for my location

Top Bottom