My Single Speed Project - Need help along the way.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
So I bought this.......
Full BIke.jpg

To strip down and re-doo as a single speed beast. Progress and questions to follow.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ BELOW AND ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU CAN

Last edited:
Reactions: apb
OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I then stripped the bike down to this,
frame stripped.jpg

Then sanded down to this.

Frame sanded.jpg

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
It’s had a primer coat, I had to sand a few areas that wasn’t too great and will be giving it another primer coat this weekend and the rest of the paint job.
Unfortunately the chain rings didn’t make it as they were smashed with a hammer trying to get the cranks off.
Now I need to buy a crank set, Im looking to get the 46T and figure the other size out later, maybe get a few different sizes. does anyone know if this will fit?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REECE-Sin...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3a863855ff

apb

Veteran

That probably won't fit. The above photo looks like a free wheel gearing cog and not a cassette that fits on a free hub.
I don't know much about geared free wheels and the hubs they sit on and whether you can just fit a SS free wheel on the existing hub. i would assume not as i would be uncertain what the chain line would be or whether old hubs have the some threading TPI.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
That probably won't fit. The above photo looks like a free wheel gearing cog and not a cassette that fits on a free hub.
I don't know much about geared free wheels and the hubs they sit on and whether you can just fit a SS free wheel on the existing hub, i would assume not.

Thank you

apb

Veteran
It’s had a primer coat, I had to sand a few areas that wasn’t too great and will be giving it another primer coat this weekend and the rest of the paint job.
Unfortunately the chain rings didn’t make it as they were smashed with a hammer trying to get the cranks off.
Now I need to buy a crank set, Im looking to get the 46T and figure the other size out later, maybe get a few different sizes. does anyone know if this will fit?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REECE-Sin...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3a863855ff

With this product and your current bottom bracket you need to know if they have the same interface, in this case sqaure taper JIS and what the chain line will be once you put the crank set on. With an SS and fixed this is important or your chain will keep falling off. Guessing i would say that crankset would fit on your bottom braket, becaise old school crank set are usually JIS interfaces, but i have know idea if it will give you the required chain line.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It looks like you have a standard freewheel there, so this will need a freewheel tool to remove it (similar to cassette lockring sockets). You 'may' be able to fit a singlespeed sprocket to the existing thread on the hub.

Your chain line might not be perfect, but that doesn't matter too much on singlespeed. On a fixed it would.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
With this product and your current bottom bracket you need to know if they have the same interface, in this case sqaure taper JIS and what the chain line will be once you put the crank set on. With an SS and fixed this is important or your chain will keep falling off. Guessing i would say that crankset would fit on your bottom braket, becaise old school crank set are usually JIS interfaces, but i have know idea if it will give you the required chain line.

I think I will need a new bottom bracket because the old one fell apart when I go it off. (I was chuffed that it actually came off). I will get a completely sealed one, not sure how these a bought either but I will take the part that “screws in” to Halfords and ask for a “square taper JIS” whatever that is for this size, then handover the part.

Not sure about the chain being in line, do you not just use the spacers on the rear cog to line it up?

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
It looks like you have a standard freewheel there, so this will need a freewheel tool to remove it (similar to cassette lockring sockets). You 'may' be able to fit a singlespeed sprocket to the existing thread on the hub.

Your chain line might not be perfect, but that doesn't matter too much on singlespeed. On a fixed it would.

I have a free wheel tool, just hope its the right size, got one of those bike tool kits from aldi. Not sure what you mean by "able to fit a singlespeed sprocket to the existing thread on the hub"
but im gessing you mean screw just one cog onto the existing free wheel and then theres some sort of spacers on either side?

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I don't know much about geared free wheels and the hubs they sit on and whether you can just fit a SS free wheel on the existing hub. i would assume not as i would be uncertain what the chain line would be or whether old hubs have the some threading TPI.

So its one of these I need http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DICTA-14T...K_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item5d2f3b02e6
Do you need some sort of spacers to fill the gaps and make it line up with the chain ring?

apb

Veteran
I think I will need a new bottom bracket because the old one fell apart when I go it off. (I was chuffed that it actually came off). I will get a completely sealed one, not sure how these a bought either but I will take the part that “screws in” to Halfords and ask for a “square taper JIS” whatever that is for this size, then handover the part.

Not sure about the chain being in line, do you not just use the spacers on the rear cog to line it up?

you might also want to measure the width of the bottom bracket shell aswell. If it's 68mm you're in luck. but your LBS could tell you the TPI (thread per inch) your BB shell is, which will give you a better indication of what bottom bracket you need.

Top Bottom