My Single Speed Project - Need help along the way.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
that is the one by the looks and sounds of things you have a free wheel with cassette (been learning all about this recently due to my own rear wheel) so you will have or already have something roughly looking like this once you have cassette off
frhub_2.jpg

and then if you want to get free hub body (the black thing with splines on it) off to clean or replace, you need a allen key anywhere between 10-13mm. like below
13hub.jpg

you end up with
freehub_detach.jpg

the kit you linked to on ebay comes with spacers you slot on free hub body either side of included sprocket to adjust chain line in accordance to front chain set
guides on youtube
Cheers Ed

Attachments

• 13hub.jpg
    13hub.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 26
  • freehub_detach.jpg
    freehub_detach.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 29

young Ed

Veteran
as mentioned before you will have to re-dish rear wheel spokes to run true with that conversion kit. basically just loosen drive side spokes and tighten near side spokes
alternative is to either buy pre-built new single speed rear wheel or buy components and build your self, get LBS to build for you or there is someone on here currently building for free!
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
how long does the lacquer take to harden? max something like 48hrs isn't it?
did you get it powder coated?
and why did you lacquer it? how a harder wearing protection?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
No I just used cans, primer, colour coat and lacquer. It takes maybe a day to dry proper but upto 2 week to fully harden. I dunno why I did it that way, it's the only way I know.

young Ed

Veteran
fair enough
powder coating is more expensive but have had it done several times in the past and is great
mono colour though :sad:
Cheers Ed

colly

Re member eR
This is the frame I started out with:
SDC10568.JPG

I stripped it with Nitromoors and wire wool and it ended up looking like this:
SDC10581.JPG

I got it powder coated after being disappointed on a previous project I did, where despite taking a lot of time and trouble my efforts at spray painting while looking fantastic, it had all the durability of custard.
It came back brilliant white to which I added some yellow finishing touches:
SDC10594.JPG

It is the only bike I have ridden for the past 18months/two years:
SDC10639 shrunk.jpg

The powder coat is as good as the day it was done but the yellow is looking a bit worn now.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
How much is that powder coat? If the colour fades, flakes or falls apart in a couple of year it's always an excuse to make something else!

young Ed

Veteran
How much is that powder coat? If the colour fades, flakes or falls apart in a couple of year it's always an excuse to make something else!
not having been involved in that particular project i would probably guesstimate anywhere from £30-£60 depending on if they are spraying anything else the same colour at that time and it depends on what company does it
@colly what paint did you use for the yellow touches? personally i'm not too keen on it but i reckon that's just me! you did a brilliant job all the same :smile:
Cheers Ed

colly

Re member eR
@Peter Armstrong I got it done at a place not far from me. Just found them on the net. I think it was £30 all in. http://www.lsn-coatings.co.uk/90270
http://www.lsn-coatings.co.uk/90270
In fact I need not have stripped the frame as diligently as I did because they shot or grit blast it before coating anyway.
@young Ed the yellow was just a can of car touch up spray from Halfords. I left it for a while to harden off and did apply some clear lacquer over it after but it's still fragile.
The bloke at the powder coaters could do frames in two colours similar to that. Not sure how he did it though.

young Ed

Veteran
@Peter Armstrong I got it done at a place not far from me. Just found them on the net. I think it was £30 all in.
http://www.lsn-coatings.co.uk/90270
In fact I need not have stripped the frame as diligently as I did because they shot or grit blast it before coating anyway.
@young Ed the yellow was just a can of car touch up spray from Halfords. I left it for a while to harden off and did apply some clear lacquer over it after but it's still fragile.
The bloke at the powder coaters could do frames in two colours similar to that. Not sure how he did it though.
good price you got then!
god knows how they do two colour?
Cheers Ed

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Should be 1.375 x 24TPI Standard English threading which is the same in the UK for Multi freewheels and single freewheels. Easiest way to check is to screw a bottom bracket locknut onto hub, if it fits then you have a british threaded hub.

Top Bottom