My Single Speed Project - Need help along the way.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Edmondson

And i'd do it again i tell you..!:dance:

young Ed

Veteran
why don't you the look of suicide levers or what? i don't mind the look but then again i have never much cared about looks any time in my life and think always from a practical aspect, if it works and it works well then i am happy!
Cheers Ed

John Edmondson

why don't you the look of suicide levers or what? i don't mind the look but then again i have never much cared about looks any time in my life and think always from a practical aspect, if it works and it works well then i am happy!
Cheers Ed
Hey, just expressing my opinion on them. I'm no purist and i certainly don't care about looks. I just find them clunky and un responsive. This is less of an issue if your riding ss rather than fixed but generally i'd rather not have them. For each their own. No offense intended...

young Ed

Veteran
Hey, just expressing my opinion on them. I'm no purist and i certainly don't care about looks. I just find them clunky and un responsive. This is less of an issue if your riding ss rather than fixed but generally i'd rather not have them. For each their own. No offense intended...
no worries i think they could be rather practical and might try to get some for my next bike which will probably be a dropped bar 70's+ road/racer type thing
Cheers Ed

D

Deleted member 1258

Cheers Ed

Suicide levers are named suicide levers for a reason, they largely disappeared for a reason, I've ridden bikes with suicide levers in the past and understand both why they are called suicide levers and why they disappeared, they seriously reduced the stopping ability of the brakes, especially the more bottom of the range brakes.

young Ed

Veteran
Suicide levers are named suicide levers for a reason, they largely disappeared for a reason, I've ridden bikes with suicide levers in the past and understand both why they are called suicide levers and why they disappeared, they seriously reduced the stopping ability of the brakes, especially the more bottom of the range brakes.
really, why was the stopping power decreased? was it decreased even on the dropped levers part?
Cheers Ed

John Edmondson

Sheldon Brown:
  • The extension lever partially applied the main brake lever, reducing the available lever travel. Not all brands/models suffered from this, but the most common ones did.
  • The attachment hardware precluded the use of the top of the brake lever hood as a comfortable riding position.
  • They encouraged the practice of riding with the hands on the top, middle section of the bar, which is a position that doesn't give very secure control, especially on bumpy surfaces, because the hands are too close together.
  • The hardware that held the extension levers to the main levers was prone to fall off.

D

Deleted member 1258

johns post sums it up, your braking was only affected when using the suicide levers, the ones on the bikes I had worked by pushing the main brake lever down to apply the brake, the suicide lever was on a pivot, when you pulled up towards the bars the other end bore down on the top part of the main brake lever applying the brake.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
loving the dual position brake levers :biggrin:
i are you doing it up just because you want a single speed or are you making it look as it would have back in it's day?
if the latter then the seat needs to go, sorry to say :sad: even if the seat doesn't go it's set up wrong in above photo!
Cheers Ed

I'm going for a single speed vintage look, chromes, creams and browns.

Don't worry I've got a new brown saddle on the way, All will be set up correctly when it's fully built.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
What's all this talk on the brakes, I will be leaving them on, I like the look of them, plus as its my single speed so I won't be doing crazy decents or racing so to speak, however I may change my opinion on them when I actually use them on the road.

Top Bottom