My turn to Show you the Routes (First timer)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skipper9999

Planning on doing LEJOG in May supported, Myself(54) and a friend who is only 81.

The big debate would be the route, Tony favoured the A30, M5, M6..anything as long as it was short and flat, I wanted a balance and not to excited about main roads especially the A30 and the top half of the A9 from Inverness. Initially I had fancied West Scotland on the A82 from Glasgow but eventually swung to the old road and paths alongside the A9. One option I would like to hang onto is the route from Inverness taking in the road to Altnaharra avoiding the A9 to Wick.

From the start my favoured route is A30 for 15 miles then northwards and avoiding the A30 as much as possible taking in Camleford, then across to Witheridge and to Weston Super Mare. The next debate would be Severn Bridge and Ross on Wye to Shrewsbury and North to Warrington and Carnforth or Skirt round and go through Tewkesbury to head North.

Once passed the big conurbations after Kendal Tony favours Shap and myself I would go through Keswick before both routes converge again at Moffat crossing to Edinburgh up the tracks and paths beside the A9 to reach Dingwall.

Then we back to the debate to save miles and height or enjoy the beauty on route to Altnaharra and the north coast to John O'Groats.

We have 14/15 days and our luggage is being carried for us, but we have to bear in mind Tony's age at 81.

I have put the routes on a website at www.lejog.us and the interactive ride with gps are here .

Please also take time to look about the website and add any advice you may have for us

Nanook

Regular
Planning on doing LEJOG in May supported, Myself(54) and a friend who is only 81.

The big debate would be the route, Tony favoured the A30, M5, M6..anything as long as it was short and flat, I wanted a balance and not to excited about main roads especially the A30 and the top half of the A9 from Inverness. Initially I had fancied West Scotland on the A82 from Glasgow but eventually swung to the old road and paths alongside the A9. One option I would like to hang onto is the route from Inverness taking in the road to Altnaharra avoiding the A9 to Wick.

From the start my favoured route is A30 for 15 miles then northwards and avoiding the A30 as much as possible taking in Camleford, then across to Witheridge and to Weston Super Mare. The next debate would be Severn Bridge and Ross on Wye to Shrewsbury and North to Warrington and Carnforth or Skirt round and go through Tewkesbury to head North.

Once passed the big conurbations after Kendal Tony favours Shap and myself I would go through Keswick before both routes converge again at Moffat crossing to Edinburgh up the tracks and paths beside the A9 to reach Dingwall.

Then we back to the debate to save miles and height or enjoy the beauty on route to Altnaharra and the north coast to John O'Groats.

We have 14/15 days and our luggage is being carried for us, but we have to bear in mind Tony's age at 81.

I have put the routes on a website at www.lejog.us and the interactive ride with gps are here .

Please also take time to look about the website and add any advice you may have for us
You've done the right thing in keeping off the A82 as it's mega busy, very fast in places and very very narrow and twisty north of Tarbet. All in all all it's a dangerous road for cycling. Also don't, whatever you do, cycle on the A9 (but see below). It's downright dangerous! And the so-called cycle track from Perth north is only fit for mountain bikes as it is strewn with crap and debris and is never cleaned. I am working on a route from Perth north that goes like this (at the moment); A85 west out of Perth, through the lanes to Methven and Buchanty, to the A822, north on A822 to Amulree, then NW on a tiny road (it is not numbered) to Kenmore, north on B840 to Tummel Bridge and keep north to Trinafour and the A9. Nine miles on the A9 to Dalwhinnie then the A889, A86, B0152 to Aviemore and Carrbidge. From Carrbridge to Inverness is either via the A9 (not recommended!) or through the lanes towards Nairn, Cawdor and Culloden. North of Inverness the A9 is absolutely awful for cyclists. My route will be A862 from Inverness to Muir of Ord, Conon Bridge and Dingwall then the old road on the left (north) of the A9 to Alness. Then the B9176 and A836 to Lairg. Continue on the A836 to Altnaharra then the B873/871 to Bettyhill to rejoin the A836 to John O'Groats. Cheers, Joe.

Top Bottom