Myths and Rebuttals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
How about....don't rise to it?

Does seem to me as a "newbie" that there is a strong element in cycling of "wanting to be pissed off at drivers". It's a shame because as a "car driver" I had heard that cyclists hate motorists and loved any exscuse to scream and argue with them but didn't really believe it. From what I have seen though, cyclists hate motorists far more than the other way round.

I say live and let live, if someone insults you, grow up and stop memorising certain portions of the highway code for goodness sake...

The only way cyclists/motorists/horses/pedestrians will be able to use the roads in harmony is by not being aggressive, either in the start, or in rebuttal.

Crosstrailer

^^^^^^^^^^^ This

Quite surprised at some of the pettyness and anger at car drivers from certain users on here to be honest. I would be willing to wager a large number of them don't drive and see the car as some instrument of satan.........

Adasta

It's a shame because as a "car driver" I had heard that cyclists hate motorists and loved any exscuse to scream and argue with them

Lots of "us" are still car drivers. It's not an us vs. them situation.

Also, the opinion you reference is somewhat tainted in that it concentrates only on the effects rather than the causes. It's perfectly legitimate to "scream and argue" with someone in a car if that car's driver had threatened your safety through negligent driving or verbal/physical abuse.

It is usually better to leave things, but it is extremely hard to overcome the human fight or flight response.

P_Dalen

"Bikes are for kids. Grown-ups drive cars."

"When my legs stop working I'll get a car; and when my cock stops working I'll get a car just like yours."
Thanks, dondare! I remembered this one.

hahaa buy yourself a car and stop whining
asdsdffasdf

Do you really have a car, asdsdffasdf? What kind of car is that?
DelVeien

BMW e60, and so farking what?
asdsdffasdf

You see... as long as my legs are working, I don't need a car.
But when my dick stops working, I am going to buy a BMW e60 just like yours.
DelVeien
http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=6tOaBwU4fxU&feature=em-comment_reply_received

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
How about....don't rise to it?

Does seem to me as a "newbie" that there is a strong element in cycling of "wanting to be ****ed off at drivers". It's a shame because as a "car driver" I had heard that cyclists hate motorists and loved any exscuse to scream and argue with them but didn't really believe it. From what I have seen though, cyclists hate motorists far more than the other way round.

I say live and let live, if someone insults you, grow up and stop memorising certain portions of the highway code for goodness sake...

The only way cyclists/motorists/horses/pedestrians will be able to use the roads in harmony is by not being aggressive, either in the start, or in rebuttal.
I think 99% of cyclists would NOT get angry with car drivers if it were simply a comment or argument at the lights about not paying VED etc. However, confrontations/arguments initiated by car drivers in my experience are nearly always preceded by a close pass or cut-up.

chewy

My rebuttal to any of these glib and cliched statements is to...

Go cross eyed, pull a funny face and start dribbling down my chin. No bugger has yet come up with a good comeback to my "escaped mental patient" act.

Yeah, nice one. But you can stop now

I SAID YOU CAN STOP NOW

Devonshiredave

[QUOTE 299454, member: 45"]Myth: You're holding me up and making my drive into work longer.

Rebuttal: "And how long do you think your journey would take if all of us cycling commuters drove in separately?"[/quote]
Or, " If you'd got up 5/10 minutes earlier, you'd have missed me"!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
From what I have seen though, cyclists hate motorists far more than the other way round.
There may be some truth in that, and I think it's probably due to the fact that motorists can simply by negligence threaten our lives, whereas the reverse is much rarer. It's easy to feel negative emotions towards someone who, by letting their attention wander a bit, can cause you considerable damage with their large and heavy machine. I personally find it difficult to remain objective towards Australian motorists, when I see every single day some of them doing incredibly stupid things that put the more vulnerable road users, not to mention other motorists, at risk. I do keep reminding myself that they're not all idiots, but can't help the fact that I just don't trust any of them, and this has kept me collision free so far (hope I didn't just jinx myself with that).

I'd be more than happy to just be treated as another road user, and I'm happy to accept the responsibilities that go with this, but I have yet to see any society that grants cyclists the corresponding rights. I have briefly visited Denmark and never been to the Netherlands, but I'm told they have the closest thing to such a society; it must be nice.

fudgepanda

Said to Nancy Astor.

The duo also giving us the equally wonderful;

Astor; 'If you were my husband, I'd poison your Tea.'

Churchill; 'If you were my Wife, I'd drink it!'
Was it not Bessie Braddock? There seem to be various accounts of the exact words, but appears to be on the lines of:
"Winston, you are drunk, (and what's more you are disgustingly drunk)"
"Bessie, my dear, you are ugly, (and what's more you are disgustingly ugly). But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be (disgustingly ugly)"
There are loads of slightly different versions of this exchange, as there are with Nancy Astor's joust with Winnie.
"If I were your wife/you were my husband I'd poison your tea/coffee."
"If you were my wife/I were your husband I'd drink it"

Because of the variations in quotes and the fact that each quote had been attributed to each of the ladies in question, it's possible neither exchange actually took place. I really hope they did because they're really funny and their kind are sadly lacking in modern politics.

Top Bottom