Myths and Rebuttals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You don't pay road tax...

Rebuttal

Why don't you fix the roads you cheapskate?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Perhaps not quite a "myth & rebuttal", but I rather like the Spartan's response to a threat ending "if I enter your city with my army, I will raze it", I think from the Persian king.

Sparta's reply: one word, "If".

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
Re "road tax".
Just as the NHS is free at the point of delivery, the roads are free for all to use. Worded a bit more snappily, this just might help some people understand.

3outof5

"Bloody cyclists, you think you own the bloody road".
"You're right, I do*."

*Can be easily qualified by obvious argument re. I pay income tax, I pay road tax (for two cars actually), I pay VAT, etc., etc., so yes, I do actually own the road**.

NB. do not use under the following circumstances:
  • You are on a private road not owned by yourself
  • You are in a foreign country
  • You have never paid any taxes in your life and have no intention of doing so.

Was it not Bessie Braddock? There seem to be various accounts of the exact words, but appears to be on the lines of:
"Winston, you are drunk, (and what's more you are disgustingly drunk)"
"Bessie, my dear, you are ugly, (and what's more you are disgustingly ugly). But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be (disgustingly ugly)"
There are loads of slightly different versions of this exchange, as there are with Nancy Astor's joust with Winnie.
"If I were your wife/you were my husband I'd poison your tea/coffee."
"If you were my wife/I were your husband I'd drink it"

Because of the variations in quotes and the fact that each quote had been attributed to each of the ladies in question, it's possible neither exchange actually took place. I really hope they did because they're really funny and their kind are sadly lacking in modern politics.
One of my favorites, but possibly apocryphal, was Churchill's reply, whilst in his bathroom, on being told the Lord Privy Seal wanted to meet with him: “Tell the Lord Privy Seal I am sealed in my privy, and can only deal with one shoot at a time.”

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
Myth: "You should be in the cycle lane!"

Rebuttal: No, its your choice as to whether or not to use a cycle lane. If it is safer and convenient then do so, otherwise you're not obliged to use the cycle lane or any other facility.

There was a bit of a scare a while back when the highway code was updated, but the current text says:

"Cycle Routes and Other Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer."

In fact, many cycle lanes are poorly designed, ill maintained, badly thought out and, on occasion, completely un-navigable. It is entirely appropriate to choose not to use such facilities.
And sometimes full of broken glass from the morons drinking alcopops and then thinking its cool to smash the bottles on the ground.

Myth: "You don't pay road tax so..."

Rebuttal: It doesn't matter what follows the above statemet. No, we don't pay road tax, but neither does a motorist. 'Road tax' has been 'VED' since 1936, and is completely unlinked to spending on road maintenance and road building. We have every bit as much right to be on the road as motorists, there is no taxation or payment argument.

Or, if you like, point out that we pay the same amount of road tax as any other bottom band vehicle with zero carbon emission; i.e. none.
But of course, if we were to pay zero tax but have to go through the rigmarole of having a free valid tax discs on display and all of the incomprehensibly expensive admin spent on this, estimated to be in the region of £50 per disc, then each and every tax paying motorist would see a rise in how much they would pay.

Whatever it is called, motorists also have the option of getting on a bicycle to avoid paying road tax (unless they're fat).

Myth: Riding bicycles makes you impotent.

Rebuttel: Riding your wife counters it.

Acesand8s

Regular
This is an international forum. In Colorado USA a road tax is purchased when you buy a new bike. In CO USA you are not required to ride in a bike lane when one is provided, BUT IT IS ILLEGAL for a motorist of any kind motor electric or gas of any size to *park* or ride in a bike lane when one is there.

Top Bottom