N+1 Tiddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Well that cleared that up! :-D

Tiddles will need new tyres. The front one is a Brompton original and the rear one has a 3" split in the side wall.

Any recommendations for good, but not too costly, tyres?
Cheers.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
I took the back wheel off Tiddles today to clean and check the reason for the dodgy hub gears.

The chain was very stretched, next to the new one it was a link and a half longer.

I took the hub apart and along with the huge anount of grit and toffee like grease I found a broken bit. I think it was probably cracked and then broke during the strip down.
DSC_0031.jpg

It is the little cross bar that the selector chain screws into inside the hub.

I put it in a vice with the chain screwed into it, to align the threads and close the break, and then welded it.
DSC_0032.jpg

I then filed it flat and refitted it.
DSC_0033.jpg

Poor photo but it works for now, I will get a new bit to replace it.
DSC_0034.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well that cleared that up! :-D

Tiddles will need new tyres. The front one is a Brompton original and the rear one has a 3" split in the side wall.

Any recommendations for good, but not too costly, tyres?
Cheers.

Over on YACF, where the Folders section is 95% about Bromptons, the word is that Schwalbe Marathon Pluses are worth the investment for the puncture proofing.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I took the back wheel off Tiddles today to clean and check the reason for the dodgy hub gears.

The chain was very stretched, next to the new one it was a link and a half longer.

I took the hub apart and along with the huge anount of grit and toffee like grease I found a broken bit. I think it was probably cracked and then broke during the strip down.
DSC_0031.jpg

It is the little cross bar that the selector chain screws into inside the hub.

I put it in a vice with the chain screwed into it, to align the threads and close the break, and then welded it.
DSC_0032.jpg

I then filed it flat and refitted it.
DSC_0033.jpg

Poor photo but it works for now, I will get a new bit to replace it.
DSC_0034.jpg

Could you not cut cut a piece to size, then drill and tap it?
Hardly worth the bother if the bit only costs a fiver, I suppose...

Arch

Married to Night Train

I get the feeling that the amount of 'bother' involved in a little job like that for NT would be negligible!

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things

When I was filing the weld down the rest of the bar was very hard. I recon it has been heat treated as the break looked very granular and the file skipped off it like glass.
There isn't the space to 'over engineer' a replacement in something softer.

Over on YACF, where the Folders section is 95% about Bromptons, the word is that Schwalbe Marathon Pluses are worth the investment for the puncture proofing.

Agree wholeheartedly, they are great tyres. I had two punctures in a week on Greens (admittedly one was a monstrous screw which would probably have chewed anything in its path); and then since moving to Marathon Plusses have had one flat tyre in 2 years (which I think was the inner tube gracefully giving up the ghost; as it was the original factory fitted one which doesn't seem as good as a replacement Schwalbe).

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Fettling update.

Given Tiddles only has one good tyre and so can't go out to play yet I have been fettling, Granville should have warned him by now!:biggrin:

I started with a bit of 6mm gavanised steel plate and cut out a shape. I then bent a spring from a V brake spring nicked from a BSO.
DSC_0081.jpg

Can you tell what it is yet?:whistle:

This is it fitted. Much nicer and easier then the aftermarket spring clip and cheaper as my labours are free at the moment.
DSC_0080.jpg

I took it all off and added some heat shrink sleeving to both bits.
DSC_0082.jpg

Fitted it again.
DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

Didn't stop there.
This one may hurt as I had to drill a 4mm hole and tap out to M5 for a bolt.
DSC_0085.jpg

But it does stop the folding pedal from hitting the frame.
DSC_0086.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oooooooooooooooooh! I like your clip. I've got the Spa cycles aftermarket one, and it's a bit of a fiddle to do and undo.

Um..... <does hopeful doggy look with head on one side> For cash?

Clever thing with the pedal too. I have a piece of electrical cable outer, split lengthways, ziptied to the edge of mine so that even though it makes contact, it's cushioned.

Arch

Married to Night Train
That would be fab. There's no great rush, as I said I have a clip, but yours looks cool! I'm guessing it engages automatically, which is an improvement on mine.

Top Bottom