N+1 Tiddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maybe if you have hands like an able seaman from the days of sail, or possibly a cowboy used to wrestling long horns to the ground.

Did you see what NT did to the pair of pliers?

(I think the photo is in Tea, not here. Anyway. He snapped them...)

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Now, these Ikea bags. How small do they fold? Are they a viable option to carry around on a tour?

The bag should fold quite small, in the same way a blue Ikea carrier will fold small.
It comes as a flat folded bag 650x650mm so it should fold up or roll up quite easily if you get all the air out.

It is made of the same woven plastic as the Ikea carrier bags. I guess it is a case of folding it carefully rather then scrunching it up.

I will see if I can get the new tyres on by hand, I can do all the others bar the 16" KMX fronts. The Marathons may just haf to be a swine.

The front tyre, a Brompton original, almost fell off on its own when I let the air out. The wheel almost fell out the forks too as the nuts were only finger tight!

Funny thing though, both tubes are marked as 1 3/8" but the rear one looks like it would fit a 2" easily whereas the front one looks like a road bike tube size, barely the size of my thumb.:huh:
Front tube looks in really good nick so only one needed.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Did you see what NT did to the pair of pliers?

(I think the photo is in Tea, not here. Anyway. He snapped them...)

Arch means these ones.
DSC_0087.jpg

:thumbsup:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Fettling update.

Given Tiddles only has one good tyre and so can't go out to play yet I have been fettling, Granville should have warned him by now!:biggrin:

I started with a bit of 6mm gavanised steel plate and cut out a shape. I then bent a spring from a V brake spring nicked from a BSO.
DSC_0081.jpg

Can you tell what it is yet?:whistle:

This is it fitted. Much nicer and easier then the aftermarket spring clip and cheaper as my labours are free at the moment.
DSC_0080.jpg

I took it all off and added some heat shrink sleeving to both bits.
DSC_0082.jpg

Fitted it again.
DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

Didn't stop there.
This one may hurt as I had to drill a 4mm hole and tap out to M5 for a bolt.
DSC_0085.jpg

But it does stop the folding pedal from hitting the frame.
DSC_0086.jpg

What are these clips for, opening bottles of beer?

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things

Stops the rear triangle from flopping down when you lift the Brom by the saddle.
The later Broms have then as standard but the earlier ones don't so people generally get the big spring clip that becomes a pain to use as it is not automatic and hard to clip on.
The Brompton ones, and mine, are automatic in use and only needs a finger touch to release when folding.

Arch

Married to Night Train

I bet they'd double up for that!

I did hear a story about the AK47 gun. The clip that holds the magazine is apparently just right for opening a beer bottle, and that's what Russian soldiers were doing, and damaging the clip in the process. When the makers found out, they solved it, by welding a bottle opener onto the guns....

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The bag should fold quite small, in the same way a blue Ikea carrier will fold small.
It comes as a flat folded bag 650x650mm so it should fold up or roll up quite easily if you get all the air out.

It is made of the same woven plastic as the Ikea carrier bags. I guess it is a case of folding it carefully rather then scrunching it up.

Cheers.
The Brompton bag is a bit of a tight fit, now I have fitted bar ends, lights, and a different saddle.
I'll get a Dimpa bag next time I 'm dragged kicking and screaming through the pestilential doors of the blue and yellow Hell-on-Earth that is Ikea go.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless

I did hear a story about the AK47 gun. The clip that holds the magazine is apparently just right for opening a beer bottle, and that's what Russian soldiers were doing, and damaging the clip in the process. When the makers found out, they solved it, by welding a bottle opener onto the guns....

I think that's in Clarkson's book, 'I know you got Soul'. I have recently bought a copy.
I have a bike-shaped bottle opener on my keyring. It came free with Cycle Active a few months back.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member

I seem to remember it was an Israeli gun.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Cheers.
The Brompton bag is a bit of a tight fit, now I have fitted bar ends, lights, and a different saddle.
I'll get a Dimpa bag next time I 'm dragged kicking and screaming through the pestilential doors of the blue and yellow Hell-on-Earth that is Ikea go.

It is quite a loose fit so easy to get the Brom into. Fitted extras should fit fine though I have read on line of folks who remove the fold clamps as they poke out a little. I can't see the need really.

I'd offer to get one for you but that will be my Ikea venture for the next year or so.
Besides I had to walk, god knows how many miles, around the store to find the bags and my feet are suffering for it.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Cheers mate, but I'd have to drive past at least two Ikeas to get to you anyhow!!!
Someone on Ebay flogs them, actually. It's worth a few quid to me not to go to Ikea. Or to drive to my nearest one, for that matter.

Top Bottom